TAT question regarding tattoos and zits...

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by dbdraggin, Apr 19, 2005.

1. dbdraggin

dbdraggin New Member

ok, so id like to get a tat on the nape of my neck and was planning on doing so soon. then i realized that every summer i get one mean-ass zit almost directly in the middle of my neck from sweating and working out.

so i guess my question is that when this annual occurance happens, will it do anything to mess up the tattoo?

also, is there such a thing as being allergic to tattoo ink?

thanks!

2. m3s3lf

m3s3lf *Jeep Crew*

Don't worry about the zit, just don't get the tat when you have it here! :eek4: As far as the alergy goes... yes. In some of the colors (red), I believe they use something extracted from a shelfish, so if you are alergic to shelfish, you'd have a problem. There might be other things in other colors that are common alergetics, and of course it is possible to be alergic to anything else in one/all of the ink.

3. Laurel

Laurel New Member

me too. :)

4. joy division

joy division New Member

if you get poc marks or scars from zits then it will be a problem, but if it doesn't leave a scar you will be fine...I've seen some guys back who had tons of bacne and there were all these little dots where he had had big ones in the past :barf:

Red ink does seem more itchy to me :dunno:

5. Buttons

Buttons OT Supporter

the irritation from red ink is more than likely caused by the metal oxide in the ink.

my dad is severly allergic to shellfish and he's got red ink all over him and he's fine. :dunno:

6. dbdraggin

dbdraggin New Member

so i guess "the zit" shouldnt be a problem then huh? good. im not allergic to shellfish and im not considering any of the tats i want to be red anyway... so i guess im safe.

thanks everyone!

7. xela

xela So say we all!

My boyfriend gets pimples in his tattoo and when he pops it black stuff comes out. :eek3: I didn't believe him so he made me pop one and it really was black!

8. audrey

audrey New Member

Has the colour faded?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2005
  9. m3s3lf

m3s3lf *Jeep Crew*

Hmmm, has anybody else w/ red ink been asked if they were alergic to shelfish? My artist told me that he's supposed to ask if he's using red :dunno:

10. joy division

joy division New Member

Fuck... I'm allergic to alot of metal :rofl: I Only have a little red, mainly in the hair of a woman and flames....I had dreams this morning about my session friday morning :noes: not looking forward to 3 more hours on the ribs :wtc:

11. Buttons

Buttons OT Supporter

we only ask about shellfish when piercing in case i use iodine on the customer. i've never heard of red pigment containing shellfish and i've never heard of any other shops asking about it.

12. xela

xela So say we all!

Nope. :)

13. FadeToBright

FadeToBright FadetoFfuu

My star on my right calf is completely red, they never asked if I was allergic to shellfish.

14. sugarnspice19

sugarnspice19 New Member

Allergic reactions are more common in red inks because of the metal salts that are used most commonly. A lot of the time, Cinnabar (HgS) is used as the pigment to create a red shade. Hg, more commonly known as mercury, is highly toxic. Cadmium Red (CdSe) is also common, and cadmium is highly toxic as well. Yet another source of red pigment is iron oxide (Fe2O3), basically rust. Due to the toxic nature of the pigments, irritation is much more common. If you want to minimize your risk of allergic reaction, see if you can get a red pigment made with Napthol red, it's incidence of reaction is less.