Question regarding pyramid benching

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by caucasion, Feb 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. caucasion

caucasion New Member

When I was in high school, our weight training coach use to be the football (back in the day) and baseball coach. He said doing the 3 sets of 10 was good, but doing a pyramid from 10-8-6-4-2 adding 10 total pounds each time and then back up subtracting 10 lbs each time was the best way to improve your overall power. When i experimented with this, I was able to get up to a 240lb bench while weighing 175 lbs. I just started doing this with the workout NoQuarter posted and overall, i think its working. Does anyone have any critizing about this routine? Anyone currently attempt it? Ifi were to do this, it would include 60 overall reps, which is about average for two upper body workout routines. Besides doing this, what else should i do?

btw: article i found on bb.com

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/randy14.htm

anyone?

2. y1997

y1997 Made in the U.S.S.R.

I increase the weight on almost all my sets.

Also, can anyone tell me if the routine he posted from BB.com is worth doing?

I might give it a shot. :noes:

3. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

(Zatsiorski, Science and Practice of Strength Training, p.116)

"Pyramid" training, popular many years ago, involves gradually changing the load in a series of sets in an ascending and then a descending manner. This has been virtually abandoned by Olympic-caliber athletes. The ascending part of such a routine induces premature fatigue, while the descending portion is not efficient since it is performed in a fatigued state. For contemporary training, fast progression to the main training load is typical.

4. kit99bar

kit99bar USPA Class 2, weak, old man!

So something like warmup then do 5sets of 5 reps of one weight is better?

5. caucasion

caucasion New Member

it seems liek it will work, so i might give it a shot

6. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

Bill starr routines that I've seen and tried (using one now) combines both pyramiding and staying with a certain weight for all 5 sets. First day is pyramided working up to your 5RM (heavy day), and you use the third and fourth set weights of this day for the rest of the week. Second day is using the weight of the third set for all 5 sets ("light day"). Third day is using the weight of the fourth set for all 5 sets (medium day). Next week you start all over but you work up to a weight of 5 lbs higher than your 5RM last week.

I did that for squats, deads, and bench and all three increased dramatically... didn't work quite as well for my bench as it did for the other two though. I'm starting with weights again and doing this for the time being, so we'll see how it works this time (especially now that I'm squatting full).

7. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

i wouldn't do a pyramid as my normal routine. maybe for a week to shake things up a bit but i'll try almost anything once

8. ccrooks

ccrooks New Member

i just started changing up weights...

i do a set of 10, then up the weight (to where i can only do a set of 8), then drop the weight back down to the original weight and go 'til failure (usually between 8 and 10)

9. sportsjunkie

sportsjunkie OT Supporter

pyramiding your exercises are for more agressive workouts and building strength obviously...nothing wrong with doing it, you'll just experience an increase in delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS).

if you don't go until fatigued on the ascending stage, you can still perform the descending stage without breaking form. if you break form on the descending stage, then you're doing too many reps or too much weight.

this falls under the DAPRE technique with muscle strengthening...read a bit about it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.