Question regarding PSMF and refeeds

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by eXyle, May 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eXyle

eXyle ׂ

I am currently doing a psmf cycle and had originally scheduled a refeed for tomorrow. However, I really don't feel the need for a refeed and am wondering if I should still go through with it or wait until I feel the need for one?

The reason I ask is that around three days into the psmf cycle I had severe cravings and fear that if I reintroduce carbs into my diet, those cravings will return once I am done with the refeed.

I have scoured through the body recomposition forums, but did not really find an answer (some say do the refeed, while others say to wait until it is needed), nor do I have access to Lyle's book. Therefore, any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. shastaisforwinners

shastaisforwinners OT Supporter

what is your bodyfat %?
    how long since your last refeed?
    were you dieting before you started your PSMF?
    What is you a.m temperature?
    Would you rather eat than do anything else (i.e. sex, etc)
    Are you thinking about eating all the time?

If your answers are something like 15%, 4 weeks or more, < 97.0 degrees, yes, yes than you need to refeed. Have you read the Rapid Fatloss Handbook (lyle mcdonald)? It explains all this.

3. eXyle

eXyle ׂ

Body Fat = 18% (Category 2)
    Have not done a refeed yet.
    Yes, I was dieting before I started PSMF. I have been on PSMF for the past 7 days.
    Have not measured a.m. tempurature, but feel fine in the morning, other than extreme grogginess.
    Although my sex drive is non-existant, I do not have an all-consuming desire to eat, which is why I don't feel the need to refeed.
    No, I have not read the book, which I know has the answers.

Most of the information regarding psmf I was able to gather through forums and online studies. I know refeeds are necessary to replenish glycogen levels and to prevent "plateauing". However, since I do not have this all-consuming desire to eat, I feel I have not reached a point where it is necessary to do a refeed. On other hand, some are saying that scheduled refeeds are still necessary even if one doesn't feel the need for it, others say otherwise. This difference of opinion is what is causing the confusion and since I don't have Lyle's book, I can't get a definitive answer. Hence, why I am asking F&N, partly because there's a lot of assholes on the body recomposistion forum and also there's quite a few knowledgeable people on OT's F&N. Therefore, I would appreciate any and all help.

4. Riot

Riot OT Supporter

buy the book?

:dunno:

5. eXyle

eXyle ׂ

Yes, I know. However, as you already know, I need an answer relatively soon so I know whether or not to do a refeed tomorrow/today. Not many bookstores open at this hour, so :gtfo2: and when I do get the book, you're not allowed to read it.

6. shastaisforwinners

7 days isn't that long for a cat 2 person. At your bodyfat, you can probably go another 12 days or so before you refeed.

You can order the book in pdf format, and once you pay you immediately get a link to download it. No need for a physical copy. :wiggle:

7. ACURA TL-S

ACURA TL-S OT Supporter

How long were you dieting before you started a psmf?

8. eXyle

eXyle ׂ

Thanks for the info.

Roughly two months.

9. ACURA TL-S

ACURA TL-S OT Supporter

Did you refeed between the two?

10. eXyle

eXyle ׂ

Not really a refeed, but I started falling off my diet and ate around maintenance (a little below) for about a week and a half. I did not like the direction I was headed in, so I needed a diet plan that would kick my diet back into gear. PSMF seemed to fit the bill, which is why I'm giving it a try.

11. shastaisforwinners

you should be ok then... you need to eat at maintenance for about two weeks before starting a PSMF. I'd say do some depletion workouts this week, and refeed next weekend.

12. eXyle

eXyle ׂ

I've been doing two full body workouts a week, would this be enough or do I need to do a more intesive workout session? Also, would it be a good idea to workout on my refeed day?

13. shastaisforwinners

most people tend to follow UD2.0 workout guidelines for the refeed time. Basically doing a "power" workout during the refeed. Depletion workouts aren't 100% necessary, but they help if you do it prior to the refeed. The idea is to burn most of the stored glycogen in your muscles, so when you refeed all the carbs go to refilling those stores instead of being stored as fat. I would try to read the PSMF book, and if possible the UD2 book, before you refeed. There are specific guidelines you need to follow that aren't thoroughly discussed on the forum.

14. eXyle

eXyle ׂ

Will do, and I appreciate the info.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.