Question Regarding overpowering

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Ronin, Dec 8, 2005.

1. Ronin

Ronin Guest

My rear speakers are Alpine SPX-137A (older version, had them awhile, thus use as rears, new version is 137R)

RMS power: 60w

What should I set my limit at for amplifier power, music would be faded a bit towards the front so would be I safe giving them a lot of juice as long as I monitored their volume etc?

2. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

as long as it is clean power, you should have any big deal at all. make sure that you're not pumping sub bass thru them (as you already know) and you'd probably be safe up to 100w or more.

3. Ronin

Ronin Guest

yeah they shouldnt be handling any low bass at all

4. Asses Maximus

Asses Maximus Guns don't kill people. People kill people. Guns d

Do you have a little meter that measures your amp output power? Otherwise there is no telling how much power you are throwing at it (to an extent). Most amps are tested or rated at 13 or 14 volts, which your car is probably not putting out. Your best bet is to turn it on to a comfortable level and adjust the gain until it sounds like what you want it to. If you hear distortion, it is probably too much power.

5. GSteg

GSteg Member

Forget all the specs and power rating. They're not as usefull in the end. RMS ratings are merely guessing numbers of how much power a voice coil may handle the power for a period of time.

Listen with your ears. Adjust the gains accordingly to your ears. If you see/hear/smell/feel something funny, then turn down the volume. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that the speakers are stressing.

Power handling varies in all applications so we can't really tell you how much power it will handle. Not to mention, music is dynamics so you're not going to get full power 100% of the time, I guarantee that, unless you're playing some test tones at X voltage. :)

6. Ronin

Ronin Guest

so id be safe most likely with a 100x2 amp going to said speakers as long as the settings were monitered closely during initial use?

7. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

There should be absolutely no problem as long as you practice a little common sense.

8. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

If he hears distortion, it's not too much power for the speakers, it's simply overdriving the amp.

9. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

Drivers add distortion, sometimes a lot of it. Distortion output increases greatly as driver's suspension extends beyond xmax even if the amp isnt being overdriven.