Question Regarding Cardio

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Joshua, Jun 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joshua

Joshua ambition over everything OT Supporter

Hi,

I keep getting mixed answers and maybe someone educated on this can help me out. I'm 25 y/o, I'm 6' and I've always had a bulky build. Think defense lineman build.

After HS I became a consultant and used that for my excuse to be lazy and get obese. I was at 269lbs about 6 weeks ago. I'm down to 259 right now. Right now I lift on M-W-F in the mornings and then do cardio after. I do cardio at least 3 of the other 4 days of the week I'm not lifting. Tuesdays and Thursdays I swim, the other days I'm using machines.

Here are my questions about the machines. Based on what I'm doing, should I be going for high intensity cardio or low intensity? My goal is fat loss. I'm getting mixed signals. Some people are telling me that low intensity is bullshit, some are telling me if you're not dying you're not working it off.

Edit: Why I am posting this is I was on a stair machine the other day and it said to keep my heart rate between 135-140BPM. Being 260lbs, I get my heart rate going just by fucking breathing. By the end of the workout, yeah my legs definitely felt it and I was definitely sweating my ass off. But I mean, it wasn't beating me up. I was kinda like 'rusrs?'. Next day I rode 7 miles on the bike in 30 minutes in random mode, killed myself, and it was like 'GG u lost 200calories' and I was like what the fuck I just killed myself?

Please, some advice would be awesome.

Thanks.

2. TracerBullet

TracerBullet Active Member

First of all don't worry about the stupid machines tell you, you know better how hard you are or aren't working.

3. Joshua

My diet isn't perfect, but it isn't bad either.

Usually in the morning after my workout I'll have a multigrain bagel with a little bit of light cream cheese (by little bit I mean very thin layer) with a banana, sometimes two bananas. An apple between breakfest and lunch. Lunch is usually some sort of meat (roast beef\ham\turkey) on wheat bread with veggies - no condos and then either an 8oz cup of soup or salad. Occasionally I'm a piece of shit and get a pasta salad which is no good I know.

Between lunch and dinner I usually don't eat anything (bad I know).

Dinner is a wide variety. Usually lean meats and salad (no dressing). Sometimes brown rice or wheat bread as well. If I get hungry after dinner its almost 100% bananas or apples. I'm big on fruit.

I know it isn't a great diet, but I also know if I were to sustain my current weight (according to research I did - which could be bogus - I know a ton of shitty info is out there) it'd take around 2600 calories a day. I'm no where near that.

I've only had one beer in the last 4 weeks. :(

I'm making some changes today though. I'm going to do shakes after my workout instead of the multi grain bagels and then keep the banana in there as well. Going to find a new substitute to the salads, probably fruit obviously. I need to do something about the mid meals. I think an apple between breakfest and lunch is probably fine but I need to be doing something between lunch and dinner.

FWIW, my over goals are get my BF% down to under 15% and I'd like to be under 200lbs by March 1st. I'm trying to average 2lbs a week while allowing myslef to fuck up 4-5 weeks over that timespan. I think its do able though I know anyone losing that much weight is very difficult.

Edit: Last time I had a trainer check my BF% is was 33. :ugh:

4. Bruticus

Bruticus half dead OT Supporter

I'd always suggest high intensity to anyone who isn't useless and doesn't mind stressing their body. For my sister I'd suggest low intensity...

5. Reign

Reign Banned

You should probably drop the carbs at dinner although not 100% necessary. The piece of fruit before bed you should switch to cottage cheese, or a protein shake, some scrambled eggs/egg whites (none - minimal carbs 3hrs before bed is what you should be going for). You also need to throw more vegtables in there some where. Yeah, fruit is good for you. Low calorie, good carbs, however Veggies are usually lower calorie, much lower carbs. Instead of one of your salads at lunch or dinner, throw in a 1-2 cups of broccoli, mixed veggies, squash, asparagus, green beans, etc (the greener the better).

Also, drop the whole "I'm a piece of shit" when you eat something bad. Yeah try to do it as little as possible, but when you do just aim to work twice as hard. One day/meal isn't going to kill you plus sometimes you need that little something to keep you sane on a diet. Now if you think you'll quit your diet all together by cheating every now and then, by all means avoid it.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2008
  6. ulter

ulter AFBoard owner

Do both. Low intensity post weight training and interval on the "cardio" days. Doing windsprints will do a better job than either high or low. Do a minute as fast your little legs will take you and then walk it off for 4 minutes. Then go to 2 minutes and 3 off and keep increasing your sprint time from week to week. That'll get er done
    You might want to consider Cardio Breeze for your cardio days at least. It'll open your lungs more and allow you to perform better.

7. Joshua

Thanks for all the information guys. I guess I did totally ass backwards today then. Last night I was out and had pizza with salad for dinner so when I got home I went running and made damn sure I went to the gym this morning. Had an awesome 1h15m workout but I fucked up I guess cause after lifting I had a 20 minute high heart rate cardio workout.

I have a few more questions for you guys - Ulter, I've never heard of Cardio Breeze, I will check it out. Today my heart rate was at 165, is this dangerous? Am I overdoing it for my size?

And just so I can clarify - on days that I am not lifting, do high intensity interval cardio. On days I am lifting, do low intensity. Got it.

In regards to diet - this morning I realized I was out of my standard breakfest materials so I made a second sandwhich for post workout. Just wheat bread, two pieces of thin meat and a slice of cheese. I know its better than nothing, but is it like taking two steps back almost after a workout? Also, if I have to wait an hour to eat breakfest after a workout, is that too long? Should I be gunning for immediatley after?

I'm doing my best to learn while doing my own research at the same time. I really appreciate everyones input though.

8. phatmike

phatmike Thread Killer

Your diet seems really, really low in protein...You want to have protein with pretty much every meal. Check out the stickies, there's lots of info there.

9. ulter

ulter AFBoard owner

An hour is okay for weight training. For post cardio it's great and 2 hours is even better.
    No, that heart rate is fine at your age.
    You need to start accounting for your food and setting caloric and macro goals. Check with T-Cake at theafboard.com about a good plan. You might want to look into circuit training she designs too. Just an idea

10. Reign

Reign Banned

Eating something after working out is better than nothing. Your muscles need fuel to recover after you just tore them up. After working out is generally when you want to eat faster acting carbs; powdered Gatorade, white bread (that's HFCS free), couple tbsps of natural jelly (HFCS free), etc.

For example... almost every day I lift my post work out intake is 2 scoops of ON Chocolate Whey and 3 TBSPS of powdered Orange or Fruit Punch Gatorade (Powdered Gatorade has no HFCS). 48g Protein, 39-45g fast acting carbs. 3 slices of white bread, 1 TBSP of jelly and 2 scoop whey shake would be about the equivalent.

11. Joshua

Its becoming apparent to me that my lack of knowledge on nutrition is probably holding me back in a big way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.