Question Regarding 20/24 Pin Power Supplies

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Bubba Atlantis, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Bubba Atlantis

Bubba Atlantis New Member

Good Morning,

I have recently inherited a motherboard however it requires a 24pin power supply. My old system has a fairly new 400 or 450 watt (don't remember at this moment) 20 pin power supply. There are adapters out there that allow convert a 20 into a 24 or a 24 into a 20. So, my question is, is it alright to use this cheap adapter or do I need to buy a 24pin power supply?

Thanks a bunch

2. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

You can get adapters

3. jimbo_jones

jimbo_jones New Member

Hey Bubba, you ventured out of Freakyshiat!
    My experience has been that a decent power supply with an adapter will work just fine. In fact, I have had some motherboards that ran fine without the adapter as long as I wasn't doing any serious overclocking or anything like that.

4. Bubba Atlantis

Haha ;) Every once and a while, I dip my toe out and then scurry back because the water is too cold :p

I do not plan to do too much to the system. It is primarily for Lovely and some of my school work and game play. We both have laptops that get used more (well for me anyway). We were offerred 'part' of a system for free, so I figured we would upgrade our desktop but wanted to see how much things were going to cost me--a $8 adapter is cheaper than a new power supply lol.

5. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

those 20-pin (PSU) to 24-pin (mobo) adapters are worthless

if your mobo's power draw is so so, you probably don't need it. just plug the 20-pin.
    if your mobo draws too much power, those adapters usually melt or diaf because of the strain

quite different from the 24-pin (PSU) to 20-pin (mobo) adapter

6. Bubba Atlantis

so my understanding from several of the comments here is that I do not need to worry about it and just need to plug the 20pin into the 24pin slot; leaving four pins available?

That sounds easy enough!