Question on Video Cards

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by freshie, Aug 12, 2008.

1. freshie

freshie New Member

My desktop pc has been acting shitty for the last few months, so i am building a new pc.

i cannot use my old video card because the mobo i am looking at doesn't have agp, doesn't seem like any mobo's do anymore.

the mobo i am going to be getting is this one:
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...etails.asp?EdpNo=3917201&Sku=MBM-680SLI-Q6600

but i am unsure which cards nowadays are good. its been about 2-3 years since i last bought a new video card.

spending range is up to $200 or so i guess. any suggestions? Not sure the difference between pci and pci express if there is any. Help?

Thanks Guys.

2. Hate Crime

Hate Crime Don't Hate OT Supporter

So you are only going to spend $200 on a video card after spending all that on that overpriced motherboard? WTF

You don't need dua PCI-Express slots, and go buy an ATI 4850, good price for the performance.

3. more off

more off Moderator

:roflw:

get a single slot pci-e mobo and a better video card

4. freshie

freshie New Member

think you can build something better for cheaper? than show me. just asking for help.

i swear, everyone on this site is a jackass anymore.

5. more off

more off Moderator

sorry

what's your total budget look like?

what parts do you have already or do you need everything?

6. freshie

freshie New Member

its cool

basically need everything cept dvd burner. my old pc was having massive hardware problems or something. so i am not looking to use anything out of it (not even the case).

budget, trying to keep it under 1k. trying to build something nice that wont be obsolete in a year or so, but its been a long time since i built a new pc up from the ground.

7. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

Personally I think that is a pretty good deal on the mobo/Q6600 bundle. But if you don't have a reason to get 3 PCI-Ex16 slots than you could save a little by getting a different mobo.

8. freshie

freshie New Member

yea thats what i thought when he showed it to me.

basically its like this

my dad works for a university, gets a certain amount of $$ to spend per semester, if he doesn't use it, he loses it. so i am giving him my messed up p4 3.0 ghz and everything in it minus dvd burner which he will take to the computer lab.

he is going to order the parts for me and get it shipped. he picked the mobo out, i haven't built a pc in a long time, and i frankly haven't paid much attention to whats new, whats hot etc...

so before he ordered stuff i was gonna start picking out components i would need.

9. awns729

awns729 New Member

look on newegg. at least there, the reviews people leave are legit. plus it's a more trustworthy website than tigerdirect (just because I have gotten 0/2 rebates from TG and know people with similar experiences, and their e-mails really PISS me off).

Nvidia 8800 one of the better video cards around, right below your price range. It should play all games really.

Personally, I go on Newegg for days and compare all the 4 and 5 star products I can find, read as many reviews as I can (see other people's setups and what works well together), and then pick the parts I want. I aven't done a build in a few years, so I can't tell you specific parts (except right now intel > amd), but I would browse newegg and piece together what you need there.

10. freshie

freshie New Member

yea i would go on newegg, but university has corporate account on tigerdirect.

yea i wouldn't think to do anything other than intel. i never was too fond of amd's products.

11. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

For a CPU, Intel Core 2 Duo 8400 for a Dual Core or 6600 for a Quad Core.
    Mobo, I don't know too much about but I know, as others have already said, the one you have is pretty much unnecessary unless you are a hardcore PC enthusiast
    For a Video card, get the ATI/AMD Radeon 4850. It performs nearly on par with Nvidia's high-end cards, for only $199.... you can't beat a bargain like that.
    Then get 4 gigs of RAM, 520-620Watt Power Supply, a nice case and you're good to go.

12. GQ

GQ OT Supporter

Don't even look at PCI cards vs. PCI-E there is no comparison.

Save a tad bit more and get a Nvidia 260......well worth the money and they have come down substantially in price since they were released 3 weeks ago....i think they are around $250 now (when they started at like $400-420 on release)

13. eideteker

eideteker Who jarked off in my frakkin' coffee? OT Supporter

...or he could spend less money and get more card with a 4870.

14. Pet3R

Pet3R Active Member

Just my 2 cents:
    [​IMG]

I forgot to add the case and heatsink/fan, but I'm using an Antec 900 case. It's $100 I think, and it works well (cooling). Kinda ugly, but eh, I like how it does the job. As for the heatsink/fan for the CPU, I'm using an Arctic Cooler Freezer 7 Pro, which is around $35, and my idle temps stay under 38C. The video card could be better, but I didn't really bother with looking into the best price to performance ratios, but nonetheless, the 8800GT is decent. Eh, I forgot there was the 8800GTS (G92), so there's another option. If you wanna spend more money, go with a Radeon HD4870 or GeForce 9800GX2 ($290). But then again, I don't think you specified what kind of games you will be playing (actually, I don't think you even mentioned games), but you did say you want a PC that will last a while, which this one will. Oh, and what kinda monitor will you be playing on (more specifically, what resolution? That's an important factor to consider when looking at video cards. If you're playing on a 1280x1024 monitor, an 8800GT would suffice, but I'd just find a cheap one off Craigslist or something). And as for the hard drive, I just added a random one. Pick whatever you need. Oh, and you said Tigerdirect instead of Newegg, but I was lazy and am less familiar with Tigerdirect (wasn't sure if they had a wishlist thingy majigger like Newegg does). Anyways, prices shouldn't be too different.