Question on refresh rate

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by VoOdOoVyPeR, Sep 1, 2005.

1. VoOdOoVyPeR

VoOdOoVyPeR New Member

Whats the best refresh rate to use with a flat panel monitor.

If it helps, I have a Sony SDM-HS95P that defaulted a 60 Hertz. I read something before on this monitor that sed to prevent vertical something or other, to put the monitor on atleast 85 Hertz. But if I click the check box in the advanced display settings that says "Hide modes that this monitor can't display." and it takes all the sets and leaves only 60 hertz. So is that ok or is there something better? Thanks.

2. ACA

ACA Sometimes I feel lonely at night OT Supporter

It's 85Hz for CRT monitors, as anything lower tends to ahh... burn like hell.

I believe LCD monitors such as yours have a fixed refresh rate, that being 60Hz. But LCDs, unlike CRTs, won't burn your eyes out at low refresh rates.

This is because LCD's are lit with a backlight, not the Cathode Ray Tube itself. The backlight itself remains on constantly.

Those people who say LCD's are better on your eyes are right - to an extent. But so long as you have a monitor that does a decently high refresh rate it doesnt make a difference. (In my opinion anyways)

If you want an even better responce, look here. Third post. This guy seems to be an expert.

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.cfm?catid=31&threadid=1664893

3. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

i run my CRT at 85Hz...at one point i had it at 100Hz but after driver updates that option went away. i think it was a driver mistake anyways...

4. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

RTFM

It will say what resolution and refresh rate you need to run the LCD at.

5. VoOdOoVyPeR

VoOdOoVyPeR New Member

thanks alot aca. i just dl'd some new drivers for the monitor and it did say the recommended refresh should be 60Hz.

the display utility tool only told me what resolution is preferred to run the monitor at, not the refresh rate XR250rdr, so pipe down.

6. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

M is for Manual...not display tool utility

Page 9 btw...