question on pads for PC

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by dan avoN7, Jul 8, 2005.

1. dan avoN7

dan avoN7 New Member

Well after many threads of asking about a PC I finally got one. Picked it up from Lowes and now I need to get the right pads. If anyone has followed my last posts I said i already have DACP, Swirl free polish #82, and S100 wax. I am about to order some Clearkote vanilla moose wax hand glaze and poor boys EX-P for a sealant.

Now with all these products how many of each pads should I order, should i get one pad for each product or can i simply rinse the pads inbetween each product use and that will be enough to remove all of the product. Also which pad do i use with each product. Do i use just cutting pads for the DACP and Swirl free and then with the polish/sealant i move to a finishing pad?

It looks like im going to order from exceldetail since they have all of the products from each company so that will save on shipping.

Thanks in advance and i hope this will be the last thread i make before my detail thread with lots of pics :noes:

2. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

Yup, you'll want different pads for each prodcut.

I like to get two or three pads for each step also. As one pad gums up during detailing I'll take it off and start another one while it dries. I don't wash my pads with water though as it cuts their life shorter. I clean my pad by running a pad spur over the pad while on the buffer on high speed to break up the dries build-up and blow some of it off. I'll then take my air compressor and blow air on the pad. I keep the buffer on and start in the middle and just blow compressed air over the pad. Works great and the pads ready to go right away. Great if you have multiple vehicles to do or if you have one really big vehicles that's going to take more pads than you have.

Can't comment on DACP or Swirl Free Polish as I've never used them. I stick with Valugard, BAF/PRO, and Poorboy products. But I do use S100/P21S and it's a great wax but you'll want to apply it by hand. It's just not worth attempting to do a paste wax with an orbital.

For pad selection I'd get a couple finishing pads incase you ever get a Glaze or a Liquid wax. You can also get some cutting and polishing pads. Pads will make a big difference. I've had some polishes that barely touch anything on a polishing pad but will tear through swirls on a cutting pad. You'll just have to experiment with your products. The one thing here with pads is you can use a pad for different products but NEVER use a pad with a less agressive product than you used on it previously. If you try a cutting pad out with a Polish, then you can use it for a compound after that if that pad isn't working with the polish. But from there on out only use it with a compound. Same as if you use a compound on a polishing or finishing pad, then never use those pads for a fine polish or wax. I just like to do this because you never can fully clean a pad and some of the abrasives they use will still be stuck in there. Better to stay safe IMHO.

3. Dusty Bottoms

Dusty Bottoms OT Supporter

If you use the products regularly, get at least one pad per product. From Lake Country, you can get a yellow for the DACP and any other compounds you pick up, white for the #82 and any other polishes and black for your waxes and sealants. If my pads get clogged with product from a big job (usually only happens with the compounding), I have a bucket of wash water with Dawn in it....a couple seconds of hand washing, and a rinse from the hose. Then I will squeeze the pad in a towel to remove the majority of the water, stick it on the PC and give it a whirls at 5 or 6 for a couple seconds, and I am good to go. The pads I use today are the ones I ordered with my PC originally. They're over 3 years old now and no sign of stopping. I save my spur for my wool pads only.

Grab some quart or gallon-sized ziplock bags while you are out. When you are done with the job and the pads have been cleaned and dried out, throw 'em in the bag and label them with what product they pair with. The 6" pads will fit in the quart bags and the 7.5" need the gallon bags. This will keep them clean and organized. Make sure to grab a sharpie and write the corresponding product on the back of the pad as well. Good luck!

4. dan avoN7

dan avoN7 New Member

Great thanks for the replies, yea i figured ordering one pad for each product would be a better idea. The colors are different from excel detail since its a different pad but i heard their pads are also very nice. This is what i decided on, please correct me if i'm selecting the wrong pad for a specific product

x2 - Propel Green Light Cut for DACP/Swirl Free Polish
    x1 - Propel Blue Light Polishing Pad for Clearkote Vanilla Moose Wax Glaze
    x1 - Propel Grey Finishing Pad for Poorboys EX-P Sealant.

then i'll do the S100 by hand like recommened. Is the foam applicator that comes with S100 decent or should i pick up a few of these microfiber applicators?
    http://www.prestostore.com/cgi-bin/store.pl?ref=exceldetail&ct=29303&pd=133823&or=128351

also forgot to add, i haven't opened the porter cable yet but do i need to order a new backing plate or any other pieces to be able to use these pads? I got the PC 7336 from Lowes.

nm just saw i need to order the backing plate.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2005
  5. exceldetail

exceldetail New Member

Dan, more then likely, they included a useless white foam pad, glued on to a stiff plastic BP. Its not usable for any other purpose......BTW, blue is ok for sealant application also.....You may ask for opinions on 5 vs 6" BP's. I use a 6in for additional stability on the outside edge. Its my feeling it gives a little better tork and control near the pad edge.....but doesnt have the margin for error when getting close to mirrors.

6. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

The foam pad that comes with S100 is just fine. I prefer to use foam to apply waxes and sealants because mf pads seem to soak up too much product.

7. Dusty Bottoms

Dusty Bottoms OT Supporter

Agreed

8. dan avoN7

dan avoN7 New Member

Just got all the products from Exceldetail.com They have great customer service, when i first opened the package i didn't see the backing plate. (was packaged inbetween the towels) They were willing to overnight a new one and throw in some extra pads as well at no extra cost. I then got a call back and they suggested to check inbetween the towels and sure enough it was there. Thanks again excel!!!

Should have pictures up later saturday once im done detailing my car.

9. exceldetail

exceldetail New Member

Dan, post up, your stuck with an evil # of posts!!!!!