MIL Question on Military/LE weapons...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by teflondon, Mar 12, 2005.

1. teflondon

teflondon Guest

Can a member of the military purchase weapons marked for miltary/LE for personal use? Like can they just go to a gun shot, show a military ID and order one? Can it be carried and used at your pleasure?

2. oakie

oakie my ninja.

no.

for active duty, reserve, or guard, they have to have their supply depot order the item through GSA via its National Stock Number.

if there were a national AWB still in effect, I as member of the USAF could not walk in, throw down my DD2AF, and buy a high cap magazine. cops are a different story, though.

3. teflondon

teflondon Guest

Ok, I just want to understand a little better so here's a scenario.

An active-duty Marine wants to purchase a weapon or item that is restricted to Military and LE. Can he have that purchase approved by the USMC, pay for it, and have them order it and recieve it, then use at his pleasure?

Or does the "Military Only" restriction mean that the military can purchase it and issue it as they see fit, but it would be government property?

4. oakie

oakie my ninja.

the former is possible, but highly illegal... but it happens. it is illegal to use the military supply system for personal gain. our military does not issue sidearms "for life". they have to be returned upon transfer, discharge, or any other number of reasons.

Military Only means only the military can own it, or members of the military can be in possession of it while on active duty. like the assault wepons ban on 11+ round magazines... if they didnt have a military/law enforcement clause, then NO ONE could have a mag over 10 rounds, even our military, as long as they were within the borders of the USA.

but that clause was there, and items had to be marked as such in case they reached the civilian market (by way of fraud or military/law enforcement surplus sales).

5. teflondon

teflondon Guest

I see now. Thanks for the info, answered my questions.

6. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

A96HondaAccordCoupeEX Silver Member

:wtf: :confused:

Due to the AWB being lifted, there's no such thing as Military/LE only weapons. Is there a such thing as weapons being labelled "Military Only"? I thought they said, "Property of the United States" or something to that effect. If you see that, and it's being sold, you may go to pound me in the ass prison, because that belongs to the USA, not an individual.

Right now, there's a bunch of LEO marked magazines, accessories and rifles floating around, due to the AWB. Civilians can now purchase these no problem.

7. Brian Fantana

Brian Fantana New Member

Ahh yeah full autos require a stamp and all that.

8. Brian Fantana

Brian Fantana New Member

and glock 18s are Mil/Le only.

9. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

But i'm pretty sure those are purchased by the department, not an individual officer :x:

10. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

...... :confused: where did this comment come from?

11. SnipeThemIraqis

SnipeThemIraqis New Member

Terrorists, Fascists and Nazis are ANTI-GUN
    think he's referring to the $200 ATF tax and the "stamp" associated with it. All NFA weapons are subject to the ATF tax, either $5 for AOW or $200 for machine guns, short barreled long guns, silenced weapons, and a "destructive devices" like full auto shotguns and military weapons over .50 caliber.

12. oakie

oakie my ninja.

not true. guns can be surplused, but without the barrels. barrels are filled with steel and cut into no larger than 1" sections and disposed of.

so it is entirely possible to acquire a perfectly legal prior gov't issue firearm. look for some vintage 1911's, M1, M1A's, M14's, and older service revolvers... they're out there.

in the case of full auto firearms, the receivers have to be put into a semi-auto mode... usually the arms are sent back to the factory, altered for public sale, and released upon the public.