MIL Question on joining, but I have obligations.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Ivy Mike, Feb 5, 2006.

1. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

Specifically, I have a mortgage and a few other bills.
    My mortgage is about $850 a month along with various other bills.

My question is what does the military do in such a case? Am I expected to sell my home before enlistment or do I just use my pay to cover it?

Has anyone gone through a similar situation?

I recently quit my job and have been looking for a new one. I'd considered enlisting before, but wanted to try working privately instead.
    Well, I did the private sector thing and now I'm reconsidering military service. Not exactly sure of what I'd want to go in for, but I've got a few ideas. The idea of getting an education at little to no cost also sounds like a hell of a deal.

2. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

KEEP YOUR HOME!

Do you have someone you can trust to access your money to pay the mortgage? If so, get them a power of attorney to specifically do this for you.
    For the other bills, call them and explain you will be enlisting, ask about a 90 day grace period. Once you are out of basic you can apply for SSRA and lower the interest rates on those loans. SSRA also provides homeowners protection from foreclosure when performing military duties that hinder them from paying.

More info here

Also, Boot/Basic will allow you access to mail. You can send your check to them since you know it is due.

3. RRTX

RRTX New Member

The problem is if you go in as an E-1 you'll only be making 1178.10 before taxes for the first four months and part of your first check is taken out and put on a card for you to use to buy things during basic. If you have savings it's probably not a big deal, if not you might be in trouble.

4. Jyokker

If he has at least one dependent (he didn't state) then he qualifies for BAH for where they are located.

5. RRTX

RRTX New Member

True, I just didn't think of that since he didn't say

6. Jyokker

You're fired!:fawk:

7. x deaD piXeL

x deaD piXeL Turn up the fucking music!

You mean for the whole basic training, you only make that much? Damn, my rectuiter told me I'd make over $2500.

8. Jyokker

Depends, if you have enough college credit, or so many years in ROTC, then you may be elligible for advanced rank. Also, the minimum amount in Basic is 8 months. The amount he quoted was for one month. Double that and it would be your gross pay.

9. RRTX

RRTX New Member

For the first four months you are in you make that much, then it goes to 1273.50 a month. After that you have to start getting promoted to make more. If the recruiter told you that you'd be making $2500 a month you better find a new one, an E-6 with six years in doesn't even make 2500 a month in base pay.

10. Nixstress

Nixstress Look at me! I am edgy and stabby! OT Supporter

Great answer if he can I would suggest this. Make sure you find a good property manager to take care of things for you when you stay behind. Here in Houston property managers typically charge a fee of 10% of what the rent is per month. Everything is done through them. They will make sure your house is squared away for rent, they will find people to rent it out and do the credit check for you. Also the tenants will call the PM for any monthly repairs and send their monthly rent to him. Typically the PM will keep one months rent in a savings account and use that for repairs necessary, anything extra after he takes out his/her monthly fee he will deposit into your bank for you. If you go this route make sure you get good referrals on the PM and make sure you get an itemized list each month or every 3 months as to what he paid/accounting of expenses/yada yada.

11. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

This is what my sister and brother-in-law do. They bought a house in NC several years ago. They have moved several times since then (he's an Army Major) but they still own the house.

12. Jyokker

If there is a military installation nearby, talk to their housing office. Some housing offices have rental programs where the military member you rent to does an allotment for the rent, in return you waive the security deposit.

13. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

Hmm, this has given me some new stuff to consider.

I could set up auto bill pay to handle payments. I've also got someone I can trust to handle situations. I can probably rent the place out, but I'd rather not. I might do it for my sister though.

I won't go in at E-1. I'd probably push like hell for E-3. I'm sure there is a way a recruiter can make it happen.

Thanks all.

14. insomnia

insomnia New Member

For me and a lot of others, you'll enlist as an E-3 (sometimes depends on the job, 4 or 6 year enlistment, college, ect), but you'll be paid as an E-1 until a certain point in your tech school. I don't think it was much more than 5 or 6 months though :hsd: