MIL Question on Job Field

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by armond, Apr 14, 2008.

1. armond

armond New Member

Simple really, if you had to pick a job area for the Air Force, what would you pick and why? I am talking the General, Mechanical, etc. The recruiter is saying they want me to pick one of those areas in case my job choices come back as negative on the go ahead.

What would you pick and for what reason/jobs?

2. c.a

c.a New Member

well its different for everyone and what your individual interests are but if i have to give one piece of advice it would be do not DO NOT DO NOT leave for basic without a guaranteed job. you have the upper hand right now, just do your research.

3. kawasakizx6rrrr

kawasakizx6rrrr New Member

i agree. next thing you know, they don't even try to get you your shit and just stick you in that 2nd choice bullshit...FUCKREGAERFGrdfgbdfvnklfn lax \s

4. armond

armond New Member

Ok, so let me get this right. I can just say not acceptable for whatever they try to throw at me until I get what I want?

I have several interests which I have listed on my job wish list or whatever. Diagnostic Imaging, Physical Therapy, lots of computer stuff.

5. whitecouch

whitecouch spendin' our golden years in OT Supporter

If you want stuff like that STAY AWAY FROM MECHANICAL JOBS. Put your foot down, tell them you can take your business elsewhere. Get what you want. I'd cunt punt that fucking liason every day of my life given the opportunity. Don't let them screw you.

6. c.a

c.a New Member

yes, well to a certain extent, you dont know you're recruiters numbers so h may not really need you this month, but in a majority of cases, this will be the only time in your military career where you are completely in charge. like i said, do your research find a couple of jobs you really want, and then go and tell him you won't join unless you get one.

7. armond

armond New Member

I see I see, well I will definitely push hard for what I want. I know the wait may be longer, but if it will get me a better chance of doing what I want to do, then hell ya.

So go Electrical if I want to get into the computer field?

8. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

I would actually list out the exact AFSC's that you want. Just because you go into Open Electrical doesn't mean you'll have anything to do with computers.

9. armond

armond New Member

2E231-Elec. Computer & Switching Systems
    3C032-Communications Computer Sys Programmer
    3C321-Communications Computer Sys Control
    4J032-Physical Therapy
    4R031-Diagnostic Imaging

Not in any particular order, except the order they come in on the list of jobs I am allowed to try out for... They say there are 6 pages of Air Force jobs, I have 6 pages available to me... Along the lines of the above, what elese would you recommend?

10. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

I'd recommend that you come up with at least 8 that you really like, and present them to MEPS. Stick to your guns and figure out what you what you like, and go with it. Put them in order of your preference.....because more than likely you'll get one of the top 3. Everyone I know got something out of their top two.

11. armond

armond New Member

Awesome, what is your take on 1C631-Space Systems Operations?

2E131-Satellite & Wideband Comm. Equipment
    1N131-Imagery Interpreter
    1N330-Cryptologic Linguist
    1N531-Elect. Signals Intel. Exploitation
    ???

12. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

You have to take the DLAB through your recruiter to even qualify for any 1N3x1 jobs. I'm a 1N5x1, and the job is lame. If you've got depth perception, and you are not color blind then I'd shoot for 1N1x1 since I hear it is pretty cool. I don't know anything about the 2E1x1.

If I had your current list my top 3 would be:

4J0x2 - The experience would help me if I were to apply for a spot in the civilian world with a degree in physical therapy.
    4R0x1 - same as above
    2E2x1 - that field interest me

I'd also ask about the new Cyper-space command. I don't know anything about it since it isn't up completely yet, but it sounds cool.

My next to last pick

1N3x1 - That job blows and there aren't many places you can go.
    1N5x1 - This job is even worse.

Thats just my opinion. Take the time to think about what you really want to do because this will be your last chance until you hit your retraining window (either at 3years, or 5 years depending on how long your initial contract is).

13. kawasakizx6rrrr

kawasakizx6rrrr New Member

eh, i would pick nothing, because you might as well be a civilian

14. c.a

c.a New Member

I'm a 1N3 and i work in the same room as the 1N1s and the 1N5s and my take on those would be the 1N3 is the most rewarding and coolest one, but its hard as hell, if you aren't really book smart then dont even bother. the 1N1s are ok, but the job is cake, so if thats what you want then go for it. and the 1N5s are just kinda blah, what they do is kinda cool but how they do it is pretty yawn. hope that helps a little on those. if you have any questions i can probably answer them.

15. armond

armond New Member

I know what you mean. I am seriously considering something more inetersting, like C5 Loadmaster or something, but would switch jobs at my 3rd year if I sign for 4. Would that be correct? I do want to say I did something cool too.

16. armond

armond New Member

I am probably gonna add the 2E131-Satellite & Wideband Comm. Equipment to my list of eight.

Here is my list as of right now, need to add 2 more:

4R031-Diagnostic Imaging
    4J032-Physical Therapy
    1C631-Space Systems Operations
    3C321-Communications Computer Sys Control
    2E231-Elec. Computer & Switching Systems
    3C032-Communications Computer Sys Programmer

17. evan2

evan2 Guest

I went open general.......lol but got 3e5x1 so was all good

dont be a 3c0 unless you like being a helpdesk nerd

18. armond

armond New Member

Are you an engineer or something? I don't have all this down yet. You say don't go into the 3c0? Heard anything about 3c321?

19. evan2

evan2 Guest

I could find out but for most non comm people the 3c0 are well known. I know they are combining a bunch of them plus a lot are going to big call centers to work like Ramstein in germany has one. Im supposed to call there to put in a trouble ticket if they cannot fix it over the phone so then my stupid help desk guys do it. Such a waste

Im a CSA which means I have admin rights for my squadron and fix most of the computers. I know more then a lot of the help desk guys here so they usually ask me for help but I dont know their network well enough.

I am not an actual engineer just work with them...I survey, draft (blueprints and mapping) construction mangement/inspection and other things

google it

20. evan2

evan2 Guest

We are also on the high priority list meaning we need some folks though for CE right now

Dirt boys (heavy equipment) and structures (carpenters, masons, lock smiths, metal workers) are in the highest demand

though you will most likely being going to red horse as guam just formed a red horse squadron

so basically you would be stationed in guam, vegas, north west florida (used to be at Eglin right next door) or malmstrom in montana

you deploy a lot and as a squadron, you dont get passed over...every year you will go somewhere for 6 months

the year you are back you might go away for a month or 2 for training

you are basically a mini construction team for the air force....

21. evan2

evan2 Guest

If you want to jump out of air planes we have Jump Red Horse slots, they train to jump into areas and start the build of a base

though dont think we will really need them to actually jump anywhere as we always seem to be able to walk right in

22. armond

armond New Member

3V0X3-VISUAL INFORMATION PRODUCTION-DOCUMENTATION seems a little interesting. Photography interests me, although reading up on this it seems it heads towards more of a motion capture type.

4B0X1 - BIOENVIRONMENTAL ENGINEERING

23. evan2

evan2 Guest

lol you can be the guy that shoots AFN commericals...

Dont shake your baby

24. armond

armond New Member

Oh nevermind, screw that. I wanted still photography, but I don't have that aoption available to me... I wonder why not. My MAGE was M-98, A-97, G-95, E-91.

Would having had LASIK eye surgery disqualified my from still photography? :noes:

25. evan2

evan2 Guest

I have no idea about the lasik stuff and not sure about every job in the AF

not even sure if they do the commericals, just wondering. assume you been looking up these jobs on google or try to find a forum with people that do those jobs

we have our own 3e5x1 website that a buddy runs....

wonder if anyone is at work and can use the AF portal to get more info, I would but not at work