question on glycogen replenishment after workout

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by illmaticnyc, Aug 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. illmaticnyc

illmaticnyc New Member

do you deplete more glycogen during cardio or during weight lifting?

how do YOU guys personally replenish this? i mean does it get replenished throughiout the day as you eat carbs? or is it better to replensih right after you work out with say a gatorade.

someone told me once to mix table sugar with my whey only right after a work out to bring about an insulin response. then eat apiece of fruit to replenish glycogen but wouldnt consuming the sugar do so anyways? thanks guys

2. Kozzy McKoz

Kozzy McKoz OT Supporter

I believe its weightlifting, because glycogen fuels short bursts of explosive energy

3. KenKaniff

KenKaniff Guest

I would like to know the answer to this too

4. SteveO

SteveO Guest

weight lifting, and if you want a good insulin response, pick up some dextrose.

5. ralyks

ralyks New Member

DAMN IT, I knew creatine was something made up by supplement companies.

:hsugh:

6. Kozzy McKoz

Kozzy McKoz OT Supporter

...and the creatine phosphate system...

7. Werdna

Werdna Livin' the SLO Life...

:eek3:

8. shastaisforwinners

shastaisforwinners OT Supporter

reference?

9. sprite

sprite Active Member

:bsflag:

10. shastaisforwinners

Energy for Resistance Exercise
    Due to the intense and short-term nature of individual bouts of resistance training, it would seem likely that this activity would be highly dependent upon muscle glycogen for ATP provision. High-intensity exercise of short duration (&Mac178; 30 seconds) is characterized by a rapid breakdown of phosphocreatine for the production and use of ATP, as well as stimulation of glycogenolysis (breakdown of glycogen) and glycolysis (breakdown of glucose), with a lesser contribution of oxidative metabolism.

In a study by Tesch et al. (1986), nine bodybuilders completed five sets each of front squats, back squats, leg presses, and leg extensions to fatigue, comprising 30 minutes of exercise. Biopsies of muscle samples were obtained from the vastus lateralis before and immediately after exercise. Muscle glycogen concentration was 26% lower post-exercise, a rather modest decline considering the demanding exercise protocol completed. This led the authors to conclude that energy sources in addition to muscle glycogen support heavy resistance training. Data from Essen-Gustavsson and Tesch (1990) with nine bodybuilders performing the same exercise regimen (as above) revealed a 28% decrement in muscle glycogen content as well as a 30% decrease in muscle triglyceride content. This suggests that intramuscular lipolysis (breakdown of triglycerides) may also play a role in energy production during repeated high-intensity exercise. Overall, research suggests that intramuscular glycogen is an important fuel supporting weight training exercise, but not the only substrate.

11. shastaisforwinners

squatting (and other compound movements) are more glycogen intensive than isolation stuff, but 35-45% after one set of squats is impossible. You would be fully depleted far before completing your workout.

I would speculate that even by consuming carbs during the workout, you couldn't refill stores fast enough to counteract the glycogen usage.

12. ACURA TL-S

ACURA TL-S OT Supporter

That sounds correct. I mean if any of you have ever done a CKD or anything like that you would know it is almost impossible to get into ketosis within a day. It usually takes 24-48 hours. If you could deplete 45% in one set of squats, a single workout would put you into ketosis. Allbeit it does take a little time for ketone body build up, it is just an example.

13. ralyks

ralyks New Member

That I found interesting, any more articles pertaining to this subject? Is this where the HIIT theory came from?

14. shastaisforwinners

I'll see what I have... most of them are found from Lyle's forum.

15. shastaisforwinners

as far as the amount of glycogen burned, it's also is going to depend on the length of your set. Forgot to mention that.

edit: CP = Creatine Phosphate

16. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

Your body replenishes muscle glycogen within 24 hours, but it's most receptive within 15-30 minutes, so it'd be good to have carbs the minute you're done working out. I don't usually carry any gatorade in the car though. It's not a big deal as long as you get enough food later on.

17. Chalkitup

Chalkitup New Member

If the shop in the gym is still opened when finished I have a melon salad (rock/honeydew/water) + yoghurt and muesli. Tastes good, kills the cravings and replenishes your glycogen stores ftw.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.