Question on Daily Calories Burned / BMI

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Ammonation, Mar 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ammonation

Ammonation New Member

I was looking over at nutritiondata.com at their BMI & Calories Burned Calculator. Currently I am 22, I am 5'9, and weigh 187. I listed myself as active. I go to the gym usually around 5 days a week.

Under excercise options I listed weighlifting moderately for 30 minutes each time, and I put the treadmill for 30 (I do the eliptical and it wasn't listed).

It said my BMI is 28.1 which is a little high, but it says it estimates I burn 3850 calories a day. Doesn't that seem a little high? I tracked my calorie in-take today, and I have had 1915 calories and I am pretty much done eating for the day.

So if this is relatively correct, I roughly burned 1800 calories of fat today. I am sure my average nutrition ranges higher, but if this were correct I burned almost half a pound today?

Are there more accurate calculators?

2. Ammonation

Ammonation New Member

3. dumbaznboy

dumbaznboy New Member

BMI is worthless. unless your doing a huge population data collection.

otherwise. track your eating, if you're losing weight - you're undermaintence
    if you're gaining weight - you're over eating
    if you stable - youre at maintenence

check in a week later and see if you gained/lost/stayed the same. then youll know

4. Drewski

Drewski New Member

^^^

everybody is different so trying to get everybody to fit into the same category is BS.

if you want a rough estimate of your daily caloric expenditure (excluding workouts), you can multiply your bodyweight by 12-15 (if you find you put on weight easy, use 12, if you find it tough to put it on 15)

5. Ammonation

Ammonation New Member

Well I am trying to figure out how many calories I usually burn a day so I can lose weight. I have seen calculators saying I burn as high as 3900 a day, as low as 3000 a day. Need to know that so I can track my eating.

6. Cumstang02

Cumstang02 New Member

Calculators are a good starting point but everyone is different. You're going to have to play with the numbers until you start losing weight. I know nothing about you but i'd assume you don't burn 3800 calories and i'd assume you're over rating your activity level.

7. Drewski

Drewski New Member

no online calculator I've seen is any better/worse then BWx12

from there you're just going to have to do it the old trial and error way. pick a calorie value (be it from some online calculator or BWxwhatever) and design a meal plan to that number using fitday, eat at for a while and see what your body does, then adjust based on results

8. Ammonation

Ammonation New Member

Maybe... I would say 5-6 days of the week I am at least walking/running at least 2 miles. Same goes for lifting. So I don't know.

I don't know if I should be saying I normally burn 2500, or 3500 so I can create a diet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.