Question on connecting iPod to car

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by paintballah03, May 4, 2005.

1. paintballah03

paintballah03 My av has been stolen. :squint:

I have a '99 Infiniti I30, and was wondering what the best way to connect my ipod to it would be. I don't want to have wires hanging out everywhere, so I don't want one of the cassette or cigarette lighter things. I was looking at the ipod2car or whatever, but apparently they don't make them for Infiniti's.:hs:

The next best thing I found was this:

http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=610

But then how would I convert the ipod connector to aux? Also, is there anything else I would need besides that kit and the ipod to aux connector?

2. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

This is the best setup I've come up with in my car so far. The no-wire option is having it in the ashtray or having the actual ipod hidden, neither ideas appeal to me. Signal and power run through the white belking cable. I'm thinking about dying it black (the cable) to make it more subtle.
    [​IMG]

3. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

I only want an Ipod so I can have a setup like veonake, cept I want to mount mine on the left side of the steering wheel, and run the cable behind the dash.

4. veonake

lol, thanks. I'm not sure if they make a mount for the left side, and I think your hands might hit it when rotating the steering wheel if you could mount it there. I certainly wish I could think of a way to hide the wire though.

5. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

Well, I am hoping to get a truck soon enough, so I will have a bit more room than your little Jetta :p I just need to make sure the wire would be long enough. I could fabricate my own mount if I had to, my dad molds plastic for a living so it would be hard to get him to make it for me ^_^

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

get an alpine head unit, then buy the interface that lets your HU control your ipod... then throw the ipod in the center console or glove box. Then you'll never have to see it.

7. paintballah03

paintballah03 My av has been stolen. :squint:

I'd really rather not replace the factory cd player, I like to keep things looking factory.:o

Thanks for the ideas guys. Veonake, what does that belkin cable run to? And how long is the cable?

8. veonake

A cigarette 12volt adapter underneath the dash that I spliced in. It has an audio jack on it which runs to the aux input of my head unit. I have a feeling though, you don't have aux inputs, which is the problem you are facing. The cable is a few feet long I guess. It is the same belkin adapter that is on Apple's website. The one that charges and has audio out.

9. e r y k

e r y k New Member

what if i dont have an ipod? but i have another mp3 player... can i still use the alpine headunit?

10. nobusiness

nobusiness New Member

yes, you will just need a bus (cd changer input) to rca cable for the deck and a headphone to rca cable for the mp3 player