Question - new products for detail...

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by TheLank, Jun 29, 2006.

1. TheLank

TheLank OT Supporter

I've read a bunch of the threads in this forum and went with some of the product recommendations found here. I've used Zaino forever, but want a deeper shine, so I thought I'd run my plans by you guys to make sure I'm on the right track.

I got one of the Porter Cable DA kits from Autopia, a few extra pads and polish/wax from Excel Detail.

Step 1 - wash/clean car
    Step 2 - clay bar
    Step 3 - Meguir's #82 for swirls, applied with DA - should I use the SFX1 or SFX2 pad for this?
    Step 4 - Vanilla Moose, applied with DA - use SFX2 or SFX 3 pad?
    Step 5 - Carnauba Moose, applied with DA, SFX3 pad

I have microfiber towels to clean everything off as needed.

Any additional thoughts? Car is a 2002 SS, light pewter metallic paint if that matters...

Thanks for the input.

2. joed1228

joed1228 New Member

You have the right products lined up. I'm pretty sure you'll like the shine alot more.

With #82 you want to use a firm pad. Between the Porter Cable being so tame and the weak polish I would go with whichever of the two is a firmer pad.

I don't know too much about those pads, I am used to these when I had my PC.
    http://topoftheline.com/7durvelpad.html

3. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Hard to say which pad to use without seeing your car, just use the least aggressive one that corrects the defects your paint has.

4. TheLank

TheLank OT Supporter

Ok - thanks for the input. The car is clean, no real defects (sits in the garage 90% of time, low miles, doesn't see rain, etc). The black top has some very minor swirl marks that I want to get out...but that's it.