Question: mixing oil

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by bigjd, Jan 10, 2008.

1. bigjd

bigjd New Member

Ok a dumb question.
    Just wondering if there is any thing wrong, if i mix different brand of oil for a oil change.
    Like i have 10w-40 2 quarts of penzoil
    and 10w-40 2 quarts of Mobile
    or does it not matter? as long as it is 10w-40

and its conventional oil.
    See i buy 5 quarts at a time and i only use 4 quarts, so after a while, i got all these bottles with different types of oil, and ther is no use for them.:wavey:

2. xbishopx

xbishopx deusexaethera is a fucking idiot.

mobil 1 is full syn. regular penz is not. full syn and castor based blends dont mix well.

3. bigjd

bigjd New Member

oh its mobile 5000, i dont think it is synthetic.

Well in all say if i mix walmart oil with regular penzoil

Is there any possible problems? or some thing i should be aware of?

Thanks for the reply though.

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Any motor oil will provide basic lubrication, and they are all chemically compatible with each other. The advantages to the more expensive oils are higher burn temperature, longer lifespan, more consistent viscosity across the range of operating temperatures, more detergents to capture soot and dirt, etc.

5. xbishopx

you forgot the most important aspect of what you call "more expensive oils".

your cylinder walls are made up of peaks and valleys, some caused by wear, some are cross hatches. oil is retained in these valleys and as the motor runs, the rings and pistons basically start to chop oil molecules in half as they pass over the valleys.

once a molecule has been sheared, that tiny tiny part of oil is no longer able to lubricate and becomes useless with the rest of the destroyed molecules.

synthetic high a much higher resistance to being sheared, which is why it lasts longer and is more expensive.

so, can you mix caster blends and full syns? yes.

is it something i would recommend for a race motor? no.

your moms minivan? sure.

you get what you pay for. all i run is mobil 1 with a mobil 1 filter.

6. bigjd

bigjd New Member

oh cool :big grin: ya its a 4 door 2000 civic that i dont give much shit about haha. As long as it doesn't die lol i am doing it. Just dont want to waste all the oil sitting in the garage.

7. xbishopx

yeah, d16 motors can take a shitload of abuse. youre good, just change it at 3k if youre going to use shitty oil.

8. deusexaethera

You're right, I forgot the bit about shear stability. Cheap oil molecules look like snippets of string, whereas higher-grade synthetic oil molecules look more like Koosh balls -- the higher-grade oil molecules are MUCH harder to destroy.

I use Amsoil in my car. I used to use Mobil 1 until I found out that Hurricane Katrina's destructiveness in the Gulf of Mexico had caused natural gas to become so expensive that ExxonMobil couldn't afford to use it to manufacture real synthetic oil anymore, forcing them to switch to modified natural oils instead. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that Amsoil is also cheaper (even with shipping!) compared to Mobil 1.

9. bigjd

bigjd New Member

never heard of amsoil =\

10. deusexaethera

It's good stuff. Better than Royal Purple even -- by the way, don't fall for the colored oil gimmick, it's just purple dye.

11. xbishopx

you really dont know shit about oil. ams oil is good, but def not needed in your pussat.

royal purple is decent, but i did a dyno test and made 3 more whp with mobil 1 than royal purple.

12. deusexaethera

Dude, there are so many things that could affect your wheel horsepower besides the oil, it's impossible to conclude you actually gained 3whp just by changing the oil. Was the engine block the exact same temperature during both runs? Was the oil brand new before both runs? Was the ambient temperature exactly the same? Hell, did you give the bearings on the dyno drum a chance to cool down after the first run? 3whp is nothing.

I could quote similar reasons for why I use AMSOil in my car, but they'd mean about as much as your reasons for using Mobil 1. Your opinion about my car is also irrelevant. What I do know is AMSOil is better quality stuff than Mobil 1 is nowadays, though as soon as I hear Mobil 1 is Group IV certified again, I'll switch back.

13. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

the 240Z I got came with a amsoil dual filter setup. I figure if the guys that built the engine recommend it, I'll stick with it :big grin:

14. deusexaethera

It's good stuff. It's so free of impurities it's almost completely clear.

15. xbishopx

dude, shut the fuck up because i know more than you.

seriously, if you want to go toe to toe with me start a fucking thread. i will make you look like a fucking phone book kid.

16. Anudist

Anudist Turnin' Jesus on, one lightswitch at a time.

Dude, you're a fucking retard and an e-troll. Get the hell out of here with that shit.

3WHP is seriously nothing to gain and can be attributed to lots of different factors, not just oil. It's not even something you can feel and wouldn't make a shit-stains worth of difference in any kind of race.

17. Sarge21

Sarge21 Frau am Steuer Ungeheuer!

wat?

18. 04JETTA

04JETTA OT Supporter

reminds me i need to have my oil changed soon along with a shit ton of other stuff

19. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Another really good "racing" oil is ENEOS. - http://www.eneos.us/web/default.aspx

Personally, I would not mix want to mix several different brands of oil that were conventional, synthetic, semi-synthetic, etc. It won't blow up your engine or cause it to run poorly, but I can't see how it's giving optimal protection with a million and one different additives from all different brands. Maybe I'm just picky though.

20. deusexaethera

Mobil 1 used to be a pure synthetic oil manufactured from the simplest hydrocarbon in the world -- methane gas. ExxonMobil had to switch to a different process for making Mobil 1 after Katrina totaled a bunch of their oil rigs in the Gulf and natural gas got too expensive to use for making oil.

The other process they use now is called hydrocracking, in which they take filtered natural oils and join the molecules end-to-end to make them longer, which increases the number of times each molecule can be sheared before it can no longer provide adequate lubrication. It's still better than natural oil, but it's not as good as the extra-complicated pure synthetic molecules in Group 4 oils, which look like Koosh balls and are nearly impossible to destroy without setting them on fire.

21. xbishopx

STOP USING GOOGLE YOU FAGGOT.

22. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

If everything he is saying is correct, then he is providing factual information to benefit the OP in this thread. What is YOUR fucking problem with that? He is helping out. It doesn't matter where he gets the info, as long as it' correct info.

You seem to be in a pissing contest with deusexaethera, trying to see if you know more than he does. Guess what? Nobody gives a fuck.

Unsubsrcibing.

23. deusexaethera

I'M NOT USING GOOGLE YOU FAGGOT.

That defense of yours is getting very old. It works a couple of times in a row, but soon it becomes impossible to believe that I'd actually go through the trouble of Googling every single goddamned topic on this forum just so I can talk over your head. YOU ARE NOT THAT IMPORTANT.

24. xbishopx

well im fucking sure you didnt learn that useless knowledge talking to the ceo of mobil faggot.

25. deusexaethera

Funny you should mention it, no I didn't. However, the admin of PassatWorld is a tribologist working for Volkswagen. I think she might know about oil.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2008