Question - I've been getting interested in bikes as of lately...

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Capt. Hammer, Dec 26, 2005.

1. Capt. Hammer

Capt. Hammer PM me for rates on express consent. OT Supporter

...and I'm 6'5'', and I weigh 220 lbs. I'm a well proportioned guy, fit and athletic, but after sitting on my friend's new GSX-R750, I feel like I might be too big for a bike.

Maybe I was sitting on it improperly, but I'd really like to know what you guys think about a guy my size riding.

On the plus side, I'm big enough that the bike doesn't feel overwhelmingly heavy to me. :o

2. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Most newer bikes are going to feel cramped to you, my suggestion look into some older bikes to learn on, Katana750, and VFR's wont feel as cramped as newer bikes, old honda VF's etc.. I'm quite a bit shorter then you and my legs still get cramped on most newer bikes.

3. crunchy_black

crunchy_black OT Supporter

Are bikes like the Hayabussa and the CBR1100XX Blackbird made for bigger people ?

4. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

No, there sport touring bikes really made more for long distance riding then a straight on sportbike like a gixxer, they work out better for bigger people though because there more roomy

5. Jujharoo

Jujharoo New Member

height wise... R6 and other 600s are have higher seat position than 1K bikes, newer ones atleast not sure about the 90s bikes

6. z31maniac

z31maniac *insert witty remark*

Meh, not really. Like TLR said they are more touring oriented. That being said, for my short 5'9" ass, both of those bikes are terribly fucking uncomfortable because I'm so stretched out over the tank to reach the clip-ons. My R6 fits me perfect.

And both of those bikes would make terrible, TERRIBLE beginner bikes.

Best advice would be to just go around to the diff dealerships and sit on as many bikes as you can and see whats comfortable. Adjustable rearsets could also help make whatever bike you choose more roomy.

7. Frequency

Frequency New Member

im not sure if this is a legit ? or trolling if its legit and you need to ask you should stay away from them they are in no way beginer bikes

8. crunchy_black

crunchy_black OT Supporter

It was a legit question, I didnt mean to say "hey noob get a turbo bussa"

Him asking a question, made me wonder about these big bikes.
    And i got my answer :)

I guess i forgot the part where he said he was new :dunno:

9. V!

V! New Member

You may be too big for the 600's, but then again you are too new to anything that would fit you good

With a smaller bike, you may actually learn better

I know i got a 600rr, which is kinda small and lowered it to get better control

The better control you have on a bike, the easier it is to learn

10. Heyhey

Heyhey New Member

I think your main concern as far as getting into the motorcycle world is MSF. Take MSF and then move onto a bike that suits you. Just cause you start on a big bike for your size does not entail you to be a safe rider. People start small for a reason. Maybe a 500r Ninja to start just to get a feel of how the bikes geometry works. Learn on that for a good whiles till you've comfortably and safely are able to execute proper riding procedures. Then you can bump up to whatever bike you choose. Don't even worry if you look goofy on a small looking bike. Its better to be safe,learn to really ride, and then jump on a high cc bike and know how to ride, then jumping on a high cc bike and crashing your first month.

11. bpa00

bpa00 New Member

I'm 6'3 215lb and I haven't had any trouble fitting on any of the bikes I've owned from 600 sport bikes, to cruisers, to litre bikes, to dirt bikes... I'd say a busa or zx12 is a good bike for big guys, but if it is your first you will KILL yourself...