Question: hook up computer to LCD TV via HDMI or DVI?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by popsnbeer, Nov 9, 2009.

1. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

What do you prefer? Will there be a difference?

Thank you :)

2. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

nm. there is only a VGA on the back of the TV. I assume that HDMI will look far better than the VGA right?

I have it hooked up to the HDMI right now, and some of the words are still not too clear. I can read them, but over time my eyes hurt a little.

Any resolution to correct this? I have already tried adjusting the 'text' in the ATI catalyst control center. this is on an ATI 4350. thx!

3. CodeX

CodeX Guest

likely your video card has DVI outputs, these are normal LCD monitor outputs. What most people do to hook up to TV's is buy a DVI-HDMI converter cable which connects to the secondary DVI port of your video card on one end and the HDMI input port of your TV or receiver on the other end.

And yes HDMI will look much better than a VGA connection and will allow you to use high definition. You can also do this with a component cable if you don't have HDMI. Composite/VGA will look like crap, component/HDMI will look good.

4. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

ok thanks. this is what I thought. I actually have an HDMI input on my graphics card, so I just have a straight HDMI to HDMI cable connecting the TV to the computer.

thanks again!

5. Sailor Jerry

Sailor Jerry OT Supporter

VGA, HDMI, and DVI will likely all look the same unless your TV just had a shitty VGA port or something.

The only advantage of straight HDMI is if your video card can do audio pass-through.

As for fuzzy text, check your TV's manual for the proper resolution. It's not always 1280x720 or 1920x1080 or whatever.

6. CodeX

CodeX Guest

VGA is analog SD 640x480... it will never look as good as a digital signal through HDMI and does not support HD resolutions.

7. CodeX

CodeX Guest

8. SutterKain

SutterKain New Member

I agree with CodeX... DVI and HDMI really output the same quality... They're both digital and will undoubtedly look better then VGA.. The big difference is that audio, and that could go either way.

If you hook up the HDMI, the sound will come through the tv as "normal". Now another option is if you have a stereo nearby, you can run the video through DVI and run a Y-Cable from your speaker out on your PC to the Aux input on your stereo and give yourself a little bit of an impressive setup that way...

It really depends on personal preference and that exact setup you've got going right now...

9. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

thanks for all of the advice. I don't really care about audio as this computer isn't really used for that. But thanks for the ideas! I'll have to take a picture of it one of these days for you all to see. It looks pretty cool, and I will say that I am a fan of this new Windows 7. Everything has so far just 'worked' for me.

10. Sailor Jerry

Sailor Jerry OT Supporter

So every monitor that still uses VGA can only support 640x480? :hsugh:

As for analog vs digital, unless you're making a long run, or your TV just has shit inputs for one or the other, they are most likely going to be indistinguishable.

And don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you SHOULD use VGA if you have the option to use straight HDMI or DVI-to-HDMI, I'm just saying it will probably make no difference one way or the other.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
  11. PcH

PcH Guest

HDMI unless I have a kickass audio setup

12. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

my tv only accepts vga, when i hooked it up via hdmi from my computer - it would not display correctly. i tried many resolution combinations and aftermarket programs to get it just right via hdmi

then i switched to vga and it worked instantly :dunno:

my tv is only 720p though