WEB question for you guys who build websites for small businesses etc.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Falconer, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

what do you do for their hosting package?

2. hank85

hank85 sudo shred /dev/sda -f -v -z --iterations=6

A low price so you can mark it up and make a decent profit.

3. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

Clients don't care about server stats. If you have a VPS or Dedi it will make it a lot easier to justify costs. I just toss them under any random plan and charge annually.

4. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

so you guys register the hosting plan in your name and then charge them for it?

5. Pepsi1975

Pepsi1975 Mod of the Year

get on aim fagmo

6. Die Antwoord

Die Antwoord New Member

Yep. I just host them on my own shit.

7. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

I already have a VPS. I create an account and host their site on that account.

8. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

trying, it's not connecting :ugh:

9. Pepsi1975

had that problem with them last night

10. LowClass

LowClass New Member

Selling hosting through your company = bad idea. Guess where they come for support... you!

Use a hostgator or whatever affiliate link and get the $40 or whatever and let them pay a host company. they deal with hosting problems themselves.

11. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

This is why you mark-up the cost for managed support... Everyone knows this.

12. LowClass

LowClass New Member

Ok how much are you marking it up? Do you really want to spend your time being an intermediary between a host companies shitty support and a naggy client that wants to know when their site will be back up?

in the business of bringing offline business online, there is a reson why they arent online (cost or ignorance) If its factor #1 you are going to need to make money in volumes. If it's the latter you have a solid client for ahwhile till he meets someone who has a lower price.

If you want to spend half your time on the phone messing with server support... have fun.

13. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

Do you do this? Small business owners usually have minimal request. I host about a dozen "small business websites" and the last person who "nagged" me was a year and a half ago regarding a problem in e-mail routing. The issues are usually minimal and non-occuring.

Communication is key. If you're doing hardware upgrades it's usually a nice gesture to send them a note telling them they may experience downtime. They are usually reasonable. Thus far, I've maintained 100% up-time with all my clients going on about four years now. You may be misinterpreting something here, but I'm not exactly a "hosting firm". It's simply a service I offer to my clients who come to me for web services. Most of them wouldn't even know where to go when it comes hosting. Not to mention, even if you try to pawn off hosting on Hostgator or something, your client will STILL come to you expecting you to support them since you built their website. So, unless you're one of those people who disappear and don't give a shit about their client after they paid, then that may work for you. But I have strong and reliable customers that trust me.

I run a Dedi at The Planet and VPS at ASO. They both pay for themselves and each client is billed roughly 1/4th cost of the server. I used to send all my clients to a buddy who did run a hosting firm. It was affordable, $5 a month, but support sucked, and they experienced a lot of downtime. I'll tell you first hand all of my customers are very happy that I'm managing their website and hosting services now.

What?

Something tells me you haven't been doing this... Or at least haven't for very long. They are all for the most part fairly maintenance free. But again, it's not like I'm running a "hosting firm". They're just additional services I offer to make life easier for my customers.

14. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

Oh, and if you're talking about me being on the phone with server support, this is exactly why I pay more, because I know at The Planet and ASO I'll get reliable service. I'm not reselling off a shared hosting plan. :mamoru:

15. hank85

hank85 sudo shred /dev/sda -f -v -z --iterations=6

I completely disagree with you. From what I can tell, Falconer won't be hosting sites that are more than 5-10 flat html business identity. His clients will come to him if their site it down anyways, why not just host it for them. Build a network of clients that trust you and will eventually refer more business to you. Entrepreneurs tend to talk a lot amongst themselves and almost all of them eventually need a "Web-Guy" that can do it all. Design, host, etc.. Why not pick up the referrals from your current clients? They'll be more than happy to tell others that you are taking care of EVERYTHING for them.

16. Pepsi1975

exactly

I am doing that, I am building the sites for my clients and then offering to host them, if they need changes or what not, just easier for me to have access to it

17. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

:werd:

Or at least make it appear you or your "team" is taking care of everything for them.

18. hurleyint1386

hurleyint1386 Someone has sand in their vagina

I guess it's easy for me, the company I work for owns a hosting company as well, so we do what ever we want haha

19. 95vr4

95vr4 OT Supporter

Not if you run the server yourself. I've got clients on my VPS paying anywhere from $20 to $99/month. I always let them know upfront that they can go to a shared host for $5 and get thrown on a junk server w/ 10,000 other accounts, have yet to have a customer choose that option (that didn't already have hosting).

20. Mikenotmike

Mikenotmike

I make most all of them create liquidweb accounts, so they aren't directly tied to me, but I know the support is top notch since I'm the one stuck calling them typically

21. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

^ do you make them sign up through affiliate or referring links?

22. biawokauns

biawokauns New Member

20$/mo is not worth my time to deal with bullshit :hsugh:

23. Mikenotmike

Mikenotmike

no, I don't think liquidweb has a referral program but I could easily be wrong.. I'm not interested in marking up hosting, just happy to have a host with a phone number.

24. nindia

nindia OT Supporter

I charge 30$/month from my clients that have basic sites. They gladly pay it.

So lets just say you get up to 50 clients...that's $1500/month.

Out of all of my clients, I'd say 95% of them haven't ever asked me for a single thing regarding hosting. Once their sites are up, they don't need to change anything (very rarely) and it's essentially free money considering I need a quarter rack for another company of mine anyway.

Free money ftw.