GUN question for you gun crew guys.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by EuroTuner, Jan 30, 2007.

1. EuroTuner

EuroTuner Wire Ninja Wizard

a guy i work with *older guy, drives the big rig for the store i work for* has a WW2 M1 his dad gave him way back in the day. he's looking to get the gun registered here in cali but the serial number on the gun has been ground off. to what extent i dont know but as i said he wants to register the gun cuz he doesnt have any paperwork for it, or whatever you need to register a gun *im not in the gun crew yet, hope to change that soon* so i told him id ask my buddies *i.e. OT* about what could be done to fix his problem. any ideas guys?

2. WiLL

WiLL Active Member

I am not 100% sure...but does he even have to get it registered if his dad gave it to him?

3. EuroTuner

i should have mentioned he's thinking about selling it. if he wants to sell it id assume hed have to have it registered.

4. EuroTuner

i mentioned to him i was looking to buy a gun and he said he'd sell it to me but like i said he doesnt think he can if the gun isnt registered.

5. striker754

striker754 Chillin

i could help you but i dont know most of the laws of that backwards ass state

6. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

Since the serial number is missing, I will give him $50 cash for it... and wont care if its registered :x:

7. crazybenf

crazybenf Active Member

does cali allow same state FTF transfers without any paperwork? I know you can in FL, especially on rifles.

8. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

If it is a garand, it doesnt need to be registered at all, since it is simply a rifle. As for the serial number missing, I have no idea what the deal is with that.

Crazy, only on C&R rifles, which this would be.

9. Justin03R6

Justin03R6 New Member

IIRC, serial #'s weren't required on firearms until the '68 GCA.

10. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

yah, I never remember which law required them.

honestly dude, it probably is fine, FFLs have ways of keeping track of guns with no serials.

11. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

If its a Garand there should be no problem, if its a carbine I think it should be ok too as long as it isnt in one of the paratrooper style stocks(pistol grip, collapsible stock) As far as I know in cali guns only have to be reg'd if its a pistola or "assualt rifle" Face to face sale should be legit as long as your not in some super liberal city/county (frisco)

12. Small Block LSX

Small Block LSX BMW | N54 | LSX | Gun | PS3 | Parent | Night CREW

It all depends on the state. I only had to register handguns and assault rifles. As a matter of fact, I bought a handgun from a friend and I don't have to register it. It only gets registered at the time of sale. I am not going to voluntarily give out all my information and weapons arsenol if I don't have to. :)

For a standard shotgun or rifle you can be 18 years old, walk in, and purchase with no questions asked. I would believe the M1 would be classified as a standard rifle. Why the serial number is missing, who knows?

13. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

negative, there are no laws restricting FTF of C&R firearms in CA. (atleast, I really hope not, or HossB7's M24/47 is illegal :noes:)

14. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Ah ok I wasn't sure how it would work there with the carbine since technically it can be in "assault weapon" form.

15. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

well, untill it is an AW, it is just a regular old non envil rifle.

16. TwoGuns

TwoGuns Medical Crew

Doesn't need to be registered, but if you do transfer it legally, it should be interesting to see what they do when they see the serial number is ground off. I'd be afraid they'd report it to the police thinking it was stolen.

There are no legal FTF transfers in CA. Including C&R. Someone may wanna delete their post.

17. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

orly? news to me, want to link me to the law?

EDIT: straight from the DOJ: http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/pubfaqs.php#9

18. lobstradomus

lobstradomus New Member

Not true, face to face is ok for C&R Rifles.

The only problem I see would be owning a firearm with the serial number removed. I know that would be illegal for handguns but I'm not sure if its an issue with rifles

19. TwoGuns

TwoGuns Medical Crew

Yeah you're right. I was reading it wrong. This shit is retarded and makes no sense. Check it out.

Curio and Relic Long Gun DROS Requirement
    Beginning November 30, 1998, firearms dealers must comply with the California DROS
    process when transacting the sale, transfer, or the pawn or consignment return of a curio and relic
    long gun. The associated $14 DROS fee and 10-day waiting period will also apply to these curio
    and relic long gun transactions. The only exception to this new DROS requirement involves the
    private party transfer of a curio and relic long gun that is 50 years or older.

So if you buy a C&R rifle from a dealer, you have to DROS and waiting period. And if you wanna return it you have to do the same process over again. But if you buy it face to face you don't have to do any of that shit? Hahah.

THANK GOD FOR GUN LAWS MAKING OUR STREETS SAFER! teh childrenz are safe now

20. EuroTuner

thanks for the info guys. really helps out. but would you know if theres a way to have the old number retrieved or have a new one issued? as far as i can tell, from what he's told me, its a garand, he hasnt mentioned it being a carbine. and his description is consistant with a garand since they use bandaliers *sp?* as clips, and the carbines use a 20 round clip right? but anyway he's just been kicking the idea of selling it and i told him id ask friends i know, i.e. the OT Gurus.

21. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Not much you can do about the missing numbers, are they just ground off the reciever or are they ground off all the other parts too?

Bandoliers are where mags or clips are stored the garand uses 8rd enbloc clips. the carbine uses 15rd and 30rd magazines

I'd probably skip on buying it due to the missing serial numbers even if it is on the up and up could cause problems later on if you were stopped by the police or whatever with it.

22. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

i wouldnt be surprised if they confiscated it.

fucking californians

23. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

Am I glad that Texas doesn't require handgun licenses, registration, or any of that bullshit. Now if only they'd go to Vermont carry.

24. EuroTuner

ya true, he was just trying to figure out a way to sell it, like if there was an easy way out. he's not like pressing the issue saying "oh you gotta buy this or anything" he was just wondering if i knew what could be done. thanks for the info again guys, i'll be floating around through here probably tomorrow cuz it sounds like me and my buddy are gonna hit the range to try out some handguns *again :big grin:*