Question for Web-Site Developers

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Little Spunky $#!T, May 14, 2004.

1. Little Spunky $#!T

Little Spunky $#!T :cool:

I have built a couple websites before (such as for my dad, http://www.railegelbvieh.com) but I have now had a couple people ask me to build them one. I was wondering how much you charge to build a website, and how you would charge them to update it so often; such as by the hour or whatever.

2. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

do not, i repeat, DO NOT quote a flat rate for a website. I usually charge anywhere from $35-60/hr for website development, depending on the length of the project, and difficulty. What kinds of things are you going to be developing?

3. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

I remember that site. You paid someone from OT to make the logo for you.

4. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

I go by project versus hourly.

Hourly is good IF (and in my opinion, only if): You're onsite/location for all the work. The client has no accountability of the time being put in. Unless you start getting into weekly project reports and such. Which is definitely do-able and highly recommended in a more complex project.

Flat project fees are nice since its one price for that particular project. The client knows that's what they'll be paying once the project is complete. This makes them feel warm and fuzzy that if there's a technical issue that causes a delay, its not coming out of their pocket. But at the same time, its a bit of an art to quote a project price. The trick is to consider the amount of work involved, the per hourly rate you wish to achieve, and then set a price. You also need to be able to craft a quote properly so you do not leave any room for the client to add stuff to the project later on. If they wish to add something, you let them know you'll craft another quote for them to look over and approve (although in all the sites I've built, we just let them know the cost and get approval - once approved, we just add it as a line item to the final bill).

To get the project price to work for us, we charge 1/3 up front. It tells us you have a vested interest in getting the project done in a timely manner. And we have an interest in getting the other 2/3rds.

As for fees, it depends on the work being done, how much of it, and what the client can afford. Its a balancing act. I aim for $50 for just HTML work. $65 to $75 for coding. And $95 and higher if there's database work involved. (Remember, web dev is regional so prices may vary in your area.)

5. Little Spunky $#!T

Well I'm not for sure what she all wants on her web-site, but she said she would contact me this summer when she is ready for it. So I guess I will just see how much there is to do, and how hard it will be before I quote her a price.

6. Little Spunky $#!T

:coold:

7. GotVtec

GotVtec 8th World Wonder

People I know = flat rate pricing
    People who find me for contract work = $25-$35/hrly

8. BrettRT

BrettRT New Member

Whatever our competitors are charging locally, we charge less. This is extra income right now for us, so we have no problem lowering our prices just to get the contract.

http://www.xeplindevelopment.com

simple HTML work = cheap site. PHP/MYSQL DB work, gets a little more expensive. Flash = big bucks.