TAT Question for those with more visible/extreme mods...

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by Mel, Feb 8, 2005.

1. Mel

Mel RIP James :(

I'm just curious as to what you guys/gals do for a living? I personally don't care whether someone has a visible tattoo, piercing, etc - however, I can see how these can come across as quite unprofessional. So I was just wondering what you all did for a living. :)

2. Turboed_2

Turboed_2 .

I work on software that interacts with infusion pumps. Only time I ever took out my piercings was when I had the interview.

3. diaper eater

diaper eater OT Supporter

i push carts at ikea, im only 17, got both ears at 0ga. went into my interview with the most obscene blue acrylic pinchers youve ever seen

4. Buttons

Buttons OT Supporter

im a professional body piercer and the manager of a tattoo shop.

5. PaZzEsCo

PaZzEsCo New Member

I just go to college full time right now, but I'm going to school to be a teacher. I think a lot of my tattoos have to be covered and my piercings need to come out before I can teach kids.

6. bmezine

bmezine Guest

Piercing Artist

7. Bella

Bella New Member

Internet Tech Company. I have to hide my tatt which isn't hard and of course I cant show my piercings other than my ears.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2005
  8. xela

xela So say we all!

Assistant in an office. I'm usually in long sleeves though only because they try to freeze me to death. :rofl:

9. audrey

audrey New Member

I am software tester. This time last year I had a blonde mowhawk and shaved bits in my hair. They are soo cool with it ... I wish my BF was as cool with it as they are.

I have visable facial piercings.

10. Mel

I work at a hospital. No facial piercings are allowed, and tattoos can be visible as long as they aren't offensive to the general public. Mine aren't visible to the general public anyway, and I have no piercings other than my ears and my tummy. I took my tongue ring out when I started.

11. Cherryfire

Cherryfire "If we believe obsurdities, we shall commit atroci

Veterinary Nurse in a large day practice and Emergency Animal Care Technician at night. Among my coworkers are 2 doctors with visible upper arm tattoos, another male nurse with ever changing hair color and visible facial piercings, and a supervisor with her nose pierced. Our policy is : As long as it does not interfere with your quality of work, it is acceptable.

12. Soul_On_Fire

Soul_On_Fire And the taste of the poison on her lips..

I got asked to cover mine because they thought it was a religious symbol, I explained and they dont care anymore.

13. Soul_On_Fire

Soul_On_Fire And the taste of the poison on her lips..

oh and my roommate works with me and he has a mohawk.. and word also got around I have a PA ive got asked about it everyday for 5 months now.

14. LuMpY

LuMpY New Member

The majority of my arms are tattooed. The bike shop I worked at had no prob..I was a mechanic in the back and the manager said I gave the shop a certain "toughness". lol I work in the wherehouse(mainly) at a furniture store now and they don't care. I just can't wear shorts 'cause there's tits on my leg. I just went to the interview all covered.

15. Mel

I think it's easier at an animal clinic... your patients don't get put off by your tattoos and piercings.. :) It's harder for me working with elderly people all the time.

16. Mel

Where do you work? :)

17. Buttons

Buttons OT Supporter

this should be EVERY employers policy!

18. Mel

It would be nice if everyone could put tattoos and piercings aside and judge a person by their job performance. But when a lot of what you do is based on first impressions... it's kind of hard to ignore visible body mods. You have to be able to understand both sides.

19. Phantom Empress

Phantom Empress mmmmmm tasty!!!

Face Painter at the Orlando Theme parks. I have 15 ear piercings, My lobes are at 00g, 10g Septum, 10g lip piercing. the Tattoo is covered and no one but my SO sees my nipples.. I have toTake out all my jewelry when I'm at work , the only things that stay in are my plug becasue they are relatively unintrusive and no one notices that they are stretched untill they see the back of my ear lobe...

It sucks. But I know why the policy is that way for Disney. they want to have "family Friendly" environment with "clean Cut, White bread, middle america, Goody-goody" looking type employees. They think that not having the tattooed and pierced element there makes for a safer cleaner looking environment.... it's sad cuz you don't necessarily have to look like a freak to be one.

20. xela

xela So say we all!

Is Universal the same way about mods?

21. Phantom Empress

yes. I work at both UO and WDW .

22. xela

xela So say we all!

:uh: I thought you were planning on quitting Disney to work at Universal. haha

23. Phantom Empress

no. I'm a third party vendor.. the company I work for outsources us to the parks.. 3 dyas a week i'm in disney parks and 2 days at UO.

24. xela

xela So say we all!

Next time I'm up there...probably in March, I wanna get my face painted! :o I don't know if I'm gonna go the parks though...I've been so many times.

25. Cherryfire

Cherryfire "If we believe obsurdities, we shall commit atroci

Its not the dogs and cats that agree to pay us a $75 office call. ;) Ours is an upscale hospital that caters to the higher income client. (Not bragging ..just making a point. ) I have never had any "looks" or comments on my facial piercings as my professional attitude and skill level have made my impressions for me. I think that if more employers would take that "risk" and allow for a more diverse staff but still require that they maintain the high level of professionalism and education they would otherwise expect, they would find that they are not giving up ANYTHING or losing clients as a result.