SRS Question for those who have gone through recovery treatment:

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Triple-C, Jun 21, 2005.

1. Triple-C

Triple-C New Member

I am currently working for a substance abuse treatment center as an Aftercare Coordinator. The clients are adolescent females with many varied drugs of choice ranging from marijuana or alcohol to heroin or crack.

I have been asked to lead an "Aftercare" group and I am trying to brainstorm some ideas for groups focusing on common obstacles with staying clean & sober and how to overcome these obstacles. I HOPE to have the groups contain as many activities as possible to keep the clients plugged in, but be informative and helpful as well.

So for those of you who have been to treatment of some sort, what common factors of aftercare do you feel should be covered by my Aftercare group? Are there any group activities that you may have gone through that you felt were helpful and useful to you once you were no longer in treatment?

Thanks so much for any help you may be able to provide to me!

2. nukegoat

nukegoat New Member

I don't know what kind of intriguing activities you may be able to come up with other than group discussion. Let me get back to you on this though... I'd have to think about it

3. Team503

Team503 Guest

Common obstacles? Being around it, mostly - especially for alcoholics, I think the biggest temptation in my experience (and the cause of my relapses in the past) have been being around people drinking for long periods of time, eg, a barbecue.

I love to cook, and I'm a pretty mean chef on a grill, but a traditional part of the bbq experience has been drinking. For the first while, when people are just starting, it doesn't really bother me. But as my bbqs tend to be an all night event, by the end of the evening, I find myself having to conciously fight off cravings.

So something productive? Help being around it for extended periods of time.. And I'd love to hear what you come up with..

Hope that helps, at least a litt.e :)

4. Triple-C

Triple-C New Member

thanks for your help so far guys...

right now Ive come up with a group about Courage... its kinda a game where I throw a ball at them and once they catch it they have 5 seconds to think of an example of how they will have to show courage after they leave our treatment center... for each example they get 5 pts, winner gets a coffee or something...

I have to make it "fun" and "active" for them because theyre teens, it takes very little to get them off focus lol

5. Demon Of Dreams

Demon Of Dreams Feed me with lies and hate, and from that, I will

the Courage thing sounds like a great idea.
    Also, like some NA meetings, try a Just For Today activity, because they're teens, and the Just For Today book has a LOT of things they can relate to, and it will help them cope IMO, it lets them express themselves and it will let them become more familiar with sharing and what the program really is about.
    You can try trivia games, rewards being the same as Courage

I would say Hangman, but erm, given the situation that may be taken wrongly.

Scavenger Hunts would be interesting to try as well

erm, as far as the "help being around it for extended periods of time" that varies per person, some people have a higher tolerance (atleast, they believe they do), and others do not. if its work related, its easier to have a tolerance, but if its in a friendly non-work related environment its a lot harder.

I would however, agree with a Picnic idea, not so much a typical "BBQ", but if you have the resources, you can do some outdoors related things like water sports, or volleyball, or whatever and just cook some burgers and hotdogs and have some sodas and all that, do it as a reward for the group progressing after awhile or something, weather permitting.

behavior wise, reward with a movie or something :dunno:

hell take them to a golfing rage and let them vent their frustrations through whacking balls with sticks, that always seems to help women of all ages :o

6. Triple-C

Triple-C New Member

thanks for all the ideas, I will definitely take them into consideration and appreciate them!
    I did the "courage" group with them last week... I threw the ball at them and they had to give an example of how they will have to show courage in their aftercare... did that for a while... then changed it to where I gave them an example of a scenario where they might have to show courage (ie, youre at a wedding and the waitress pours the champagne for the toast... what do you do?)... then threw the ball at them and had to come up with what they would do... for every answer that showed courage in each round, they each got a point, and the winner got a coffee (which is like gold to them)
    they all did very well, and they INSTANTLY got the point of the exercise (which was that they never knew when I was gonna throw the ball to them, just like they never know when they will be faced with a situation that theyll have to show courage in life)..

so that went well, but I gotta keep thinking of things, so thanks again for all of the ideas!