GUN Question for those who have flown and transported a firearm on the same plane

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Anders 7, Mar 21, 2009.

1. Anders 7

Anders 7 I aim to misbehave OT Supporter

I am flying to Florida for some vaca and want to CC while I'm there. I'm clueless on the process for checking a firearm plus ammunition with the Airline. What's involved? Is it much of a hassle?

2. fr0ng

fr0ng don't mind me, just passing through

so someone gave you a permit to cc in florida, but you dont know basic transportation procedures? :hsugh:

3. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

frong your a dumbass. CCW classes vary from region to region. I've heard some are as basic as load your pistol, fire one shot hit or miss, unload, handshake, done. The better CCW classes cover where you can and cannot carry, basics of what is and isn't a good shoot, brief outline of laws, and the most basic of firearms shooting. Mostly it is just safe gun handling. They do not cover flying with guns.

I know your going to ask so yes I have a CCW in CA

4. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Regarding flying with guns it varies from airline to airline so make sure you call.

Here is the short story.

Bring your firearm unloaded in a suitable locked container. Restrictions on containers can vary from airline to airline. Generally it best to go with a hard case like a pelican or SKB. Container should be locked. They may or may not require TSA locks.

When you get to the airport do not go through any security check points with your firearm (metal detectors, x-rays) go to baggage check and declare your baggage includes a firearm. They generally will direct you to a another more private area. There they will ask to see your unloaded firearm and you will need to sign a document stating the firearm is unloaded. The firearm is tagged, and the case is locked. It is a good idea to include a tag with your name and contact info with the gun. It is also a good idea to buy insurance for your firearm to help "prevent it getting lost". Generally when you do this a cherk checks to make sure the firearm makes it on each leg of the trip thus the smarter theives at least know it too much trouble.

Keep ammo seperate. Each airline has a restriction of how much ammo you can check in. Most cases it's 11 lbs.

If your flying internationally there is a whole bunch more hassle in ways of permits and such. Make sure you've done your research and have your paperwork in place.

5. Anders 7

I'm sry I don't fly with guns every other day... I've been told before but I never cared to remember.

6. Anders 7

:bigthumb:

7. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

It's less hassle than it sounds once you've done it.

I still haven't gotten a clear answer about locks though; I'm still flying with TSA locks. The airline agents and TSA supervisors all scratch their heads when I point out that while their baggage rules require TSA approved locks, their firearms baggage requirements say that only you, the gun owner, should hold the keys to the gun case.

8. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

I have experience with TSA and non TSA locks. My SKB rifle case has interchangable locks so I can swith to TSA and non TSA locks. I usually go with the non TSA locks and if they hassle me I would switch them out on the spot for the TSA locks. The thing I'm worried about is that they pull out my rifle then pass it around because it's cool looking. Then somebody plays with my scope setting and puts it back in the case. We believe this happened to a buddys scope because when he got it back the scope was way off. We always try to get to a match a day early to verify our rifle zero. His was so off that it was not something just from rough handling.

Now one time I got so hassled that I pretty much just use the TSA locks now. I told the supervisior that I was not required to use TSA locks and he said that fine but there is no guarentee that somebody would not bust open the locks on my case to inspect what was inside then reseal the case with duct tape. After that threat I firgure it was not worth it. I knew that my long guns would get dropped or come up missing at that point.

9. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

TSA: Failing to follow its own rules since 2001

10. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Please. I've watched these people try to tell a credentialed federal agent who was carrying both a sidearm and a machinegun that he could not carry a pocketknife.

11. Sa7aN

Sa7aN STEELERS FTW

:mamoru:

12. Asses Maximus

Asses Maximus Guns don't kill people. People kill people. Guns d

I have never had issues not using TSA locks. Personally, once the gun is out of my sight, I dont want anyone to have access to it. They can page me at the gate and I will gladly come and unlock for any other inspection.

13. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

/thread

14. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

It is always a good idea to call or email (email leaves a paper trail and something you can print out and take with you) your airline and ask them about their policy as well, if you can pack the case in another suitcase or does it have to be separate if and how you can pack ammunition, ect.

15. T.Grimace

T.Grimace New Member

My instructor in FL, when i took the class, said that they wont let you bring ammo under any circumstances. Just have to buy it at your destination...cept no one has any.

16. Asses Maximus

Asses Maximus Guns don't kill people. People kill people. Guns d

I dont know how long ago this was, but your instructor is a moron. I havent flown w/o ammo yet.

17. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

the thing about flying with ammo, is that it has to be in the retail box, and can't be in the magazines or anything like that.

18. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

They do not need to be in retail boxes but they cannot be in magzaines, or stripper clips. In most cases they can't be loose like in zip lock bags. I use the plastic ammo boxes, the kind popular with reloaders that hold 50 or 100 rounds in individual cavities. As long as you use the proper size box so they don't rattle too much TSA seems to be fine with it. Usually they don't bat an eye at my ammo because it looks like I've done it before. Clear plastic boxes taped shut with clear packing tape. All ammo boxes labeled with my contact into.

Back at world shoot several years ago many of the american team got their ammo lost by the airline. The garbage factory ammo in Ecuador was not hot enough to run their race guns. That is the next worst thing that can happen to losing your guns is to lose your ammo going to a big match or I guess a training class.

19. fr0ng

my a dumbass? :mamoru:

20. fr0ng

whats wrong ross? was your hair so long in grammar school that you couldn't see the basics of english grammar? because you're making me lol @ how dumb you are.

21. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

so how still ducking my challenge going? :wavey: