Question for those familiar with Focal and Pioneer HU's

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by MattC, Sep 20, 2002.

1. MattC

MattC gotta love the prewar

I've narrowed it down to a focal component set for the front and one of the new pioneer mp3 decks for my new head unit. I just can't decide what model level I want in either case. I've got two questions before I make my final desicion.

1) For speakers, I can't decide between the Focal 165 K's and the 165 K2's. Is there a big enough difference between the two to warrant the almost $100 difference I'm seeing them go for? Do the 165 K2's sound that much better than the 165 K's?

2)I'm looking at getting either the Pioneer DEH-840MP or DEH-8400MP. What exactly are the differences between the two, b/c I've looked them over, and didn't see any, unless I happened to miss something.

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. 04

04 Guest

You are going to have to make that decision by yourself. I mean, listen to them, and if the K2's sound 100 dollars better than the K's then by all means get them. I wouldn't suggest spending the extra 100 dollars just because someone told you to though...

3. ASUMatte0

ASUMatte0 Guest

there is no difference between those decks....i have never heard of the DEH-840MP, so that pretty much makes up your mind in which one to get....the 8400...good choice, i have the 7400 and love it. :bigthumb:

4. icgraven

icgraven Guest

Only diff with the decks is the premmier has a 2 year warranty and the pioneer only has a 1 year.

5. MattC

MattC gotta love the prewar

Re: Re: Question for those familiar with Focal and Pioneer HU's

Yeah, I know I'll have to make the decision myself.....I just wanted to ask to see if anyone could tell for themselves. I'm going to listen to the K2's, but the shop doesn't have the K's setup on display and there's nowhere else for me to hear them. PLus, I have to drive an hour just to hear those.

6. OOTSABryan

OOTSABryan New Member

I hope you plan on running those Focals off of a separate amp....

7. LOUDSYSTEM

LOUDSYSTEM Guest

the 165K2s will have a better midrange reproduction where as the Ks will play around 10hz lower but it really just depends on your doors and how well they are deadended etc. The power handling is a little high on the K2s as well and the motor structure is bigger so make sure you have room in the door.

Pioneer 8400 VS 840 there is one difference. the remote

if you buy the 8400 online it has the credit card style remote and if you get thge 840 online you only get around a 1 yr warranty since its not installed by the dealer and you get the small steering wheel remote. The main difference in pioneer vs premier is in the 7400. the 8400 and 9400 are identical.. the 940 and 9400 do have different rated specs but if you test them they are the same.

So if you dont have the extra 100 bux its probably not worth for you yo get them. The kevlar lines sound great over all. Good luck

8. iasca_s10

iasca_s10 Guest

Or for a deck you could get one from LOUDSYSTEM that he was selling, a mint condition 9400. Ask him about it.