Question for the women...

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by Lurker111, Jun 13, 2007.

1. Lurker111

Lurker111 New Member

How would you react (what would you think) if you were in a bar, bookstore, grocery store, etc and a somewhat average appearing guy walked up to you and handed you his business card [with personal phone number hand written on it] stating something to the effect of, "Hi, I noticed you and thought you were cute (or attractive). Hear is my number if you would like to go out for drinks (or coffee)."

I am considering just being very foward in this manner and seeing how far that gets me. Good idea or bad idea?

Yes, I suck at approaching women and I am completely out of practice having been divorced for a little under a year now after 6.5 years of marriage.

2. sportsjunkie

sportsjunkie OT Supporter

It would creep me out and i would think he was a solicitor

i would throw it away

:hs: sorry

3. Chip Chipperson

Chip Chipperson New Member

4. 0zymandias

0zymandias Despair!

i honestly think it totally depends on how you present yourself, and what your body language tells whoever you approach. for instance, what you're suggesting (verbatim) sounds like a salesperson, but if you chat with someone for a bit, it makes it less about the physical attraction (which, if youre just cold approaching, makes it seem kind of like a meat market... "hi, i really like how your face and body look, lets go out"), and more about personality. chatting with them also helps you weed out people who you may not be interested in.

i, for one, completely understand how you feel, as the approach is the hardest part. but as soon as that's over with, DON'T bail.

hope it helps!

5. antihero

antihero OT Supporter

unless its completely unavoidable, never put the girl in the position of responsible for making it happen. You have to ask for their number, and you chat long enough to make them feel comfortable and attracted first.

on the upside being very forward is a great idea, and approaching a lot of girls is a great idea. :bigthumb:

6. lauren

lauren Active Member

not well, but you wouldnt be approaching me anyways.

7. mrs kaje

mrs kaje ________________

I wouldn't call. However, if you stuck around and struck up a conversation and stuff, and we got on ok, then you asked me out, I would consider accepting.

Just handing someone a card and saying that one cheesy line then walking away is stupid...

8. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

:dunno: I would most likely never call. But that also has a lot to do with the fact that I never date strangers, I have to get to know them a little bit before I go on a date. I'd never just call a guy who gave me his card.

9. Yail Bloor

Yail Bloor OT Supporter

that approach is weak and passive

its a "shortcut"

there are no shortcuts

read the article Jkidd linked above if you haven't already

10. NCS

NCS Active Member

any approach is fine if you do it with balls.

your approach,however, shows that you dont have any (no offense).

you're validating her on beauty, you're showing your interest blatantly, you're putting the ball in her court (thus making her lead instead of leading on your own).... its NOT GOOD. if you're gorgeous you might get away with it - and even then its not solid.

here's a better one to try out.

"Hi"
    +smalltalk "having a nice day?"
    +flirt a few minutes
    +get number

its not hard. there's nothing magical about it.

11. Ricky_Blanks

Ricky_Blanks New Member

12. haargerman

haargerman ayuh.

Find them in the vegetable or meat section...
    Start looking at vegetables or meat, and act like you have no idea wtf you're doing, ask for her help.
    Joke with her about her selection or whatever.
    Take it from there.

That's what I'd do if I was trying to pick up milf's in a grocery store.

13. OoOlAlA

OoOlAlA New Member

I would think that you do that all the time. That you carry your business cards to hand out to women just to impress them, which it wouldn't work on me.

14. Phantom Empress

Phantom Empress mmmmmm tasty!!!

I'd smile my fake smile, say "ummm.. thanks?" and as soon as you are out of visual range, trash the card.

it shows no real attempt at getting to know me, and also that you are just casting a wide net to catch whatever you can get.

15. Lurker111

Lurker111 New Member

Very interesting spectrum of views.

I suppose it would have been helpful to ask for an age with your response.

Yes, I did read the article previously linked to in the 2nd reply.

Striking up a conversation on the spot is not something that comes easily to me with complete strangers unless I am lecturing or soliciting responses for a focus group or survey. I don't even really BS much with my friends until the topic turns to one of a technical subject matter or I am drunk.

16. lauren

lauren Active Member

i believe the females that answered were 22-25 for the most part.

17. skych

skych New Member

the business card thing is a bit odd, i wouldn't call a guy if i just got a number and never talked to him. start up a conversation, then give out number

18. radfad88

radfad88 The Batman-O-Lantern

well it's a good thing you'd never have to write that down on the card... because spelling the wrong form of "here" would make me think you were a complete idiot.

even if you didn't make a fool of yourself that way, i still wouldn't call you. it gives me the creepy vibe like you do that all the time and just have a steady supply waiting in your wallet.

19. Lurker111

Lurker111 New Member

Yes, this was really necessary to further the current conversation right?

The remainder will be taken under advisement though.

Age please?

20. Lokish

Lokish New Member

I would find you odd and potentially creepy. As it is, when a guy approaches me just to say they think I am pretty or want my number, I find them odd. What do they know about me? Why would they think they should get my phone number.

Let me give you and example which happened this past Sunday morning.

Waiting at a transit stop first thing in the morning so I can go to martial arts class, dressed in gym pants and a long sleeved T-shirt (read into this that it was not my best look).

While waiting out of the corner of my eye, I see a guy that is staring at me. Strange, but ok...Well, he finally moves around so that he is standing pretty well infront of me, however I wasn't paying attention to him as I saw a guy out jogging with this cute little dog. Anyhow, this guy tries to talk to me, but I am wearing headphones and ignore him. So what does he do? He starts waving at me to get my attention...he is about 5 feet away from. LOL. He then asks me if I am occupied (which clues me in that he is not native here and probably not an english first language person), but I get the point and tell him I am (I am not). He then asks me if we can get together sometime. No. Can he have my number? No (hope you see how this was going). Will I take his number? No, I am flattered but no thank you. He then starts asking me why and I tell him that it is no and I don't need to explain myself.

Anyhow...long story...strike up a rappore if there is one to be had...if not, walk on. Don't be the annoying guy waving to get some girls attention just cause you want to score some digits.

Cheers

21. Lurker111

Lurker111 New Member

Basically, the consensus is that:

You don't get to know someone via a date, but you should get to know them before you even attempt to make contact for setting up the date (and one rare case where the person only speaks to people they know). This would be particularly applicable to women ages 22-25 (around 10 years too young for me anyway).

22. Lokish

Lokish New Member

Not that is it terrbly important, but I am 28. :coolugh: So I would say applicable to womens up to ages of 33 as well cause I have friends that would find that down right strange. Just my two pennies though.

Try it out and see if you can observe the post reaction when they think you have gone away. Some people like strange...LOL

23. Yail Bloor

Yail Bloor OT Supporter

If she is attracted to you when you request her phone number, chances are she will give it to you.

If she isn't attracted, then of course she is going to think its strange.

24. RougeOgre

RougeOgre FS Librarian and MOD

As I am about 10 years older than you, let me add my .02. While I might possibly find it somewhat flattering, I would find it much more creepy. However, If you were to approach me in a bookstore/coffee shop and chat about our similar taste in books and then ask me to join you for coffee and further discussion of said books... you'd have a better chance of connecting.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2007
  25. low20

low20 Member

hahaha i didnt read all the posts but are you kidding me? thats pretty lame dude...its like, u cant even say hi, ur just giving the card and hoping you get something out of it...lol that wont work unless the chick is desperate..