Question for the sportbike track day junkies.

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Short Bus, Aug 30, 2008.

1. Short Bus

Short Bus Beep beep!

Roughly how much do you find yourself spending a track day weekend or race weekend?

There's a distinct lack of competition in my life right now and I need to do something about it. So I was thinking about selling the STi and getting back on the track with a motorcycle with the goal of going racing when I'm comfortable.

I'm basically just trying get an idea of what the basic costs are. I understand that they can go as high as you're willing to pay to be competitive. I'm just looking for the basic cost to play for somebody planning to run off of a normal 9-5 paycheck with no sponsors.

2. squid

squid braap

entry fees-- 150ish
    gas to get there -- depends, costs me about 60 bucks to get to Buttonwillow and back
    tires-- every 2-4 trackdays depending on how hard you ride--~275 a pop. Takeoffs are cheaper, but less grip and more work
    truck-- free if you got one, otherwise it's 60 bucks to Enterprise

It's way cheaper than running cars on the track (unless you count the hospital bills :mamoru:)

3. squid

squid braap

Supermoto FTW - $30 trackdays

4. Short Bus

Short Bus Beep beep!

That sounds extremely reasonable. So if I provide my own transportation it would likely be roughly $600 a track day... less if I get more than two track days out of a set of tires.

I was planning on getting a hatchback like a Mazda 3 or something and just pull a small trailer with the bike. If nothing else I can throw a hitch on my crappy Hyundai beater and use it until it finally pukes on me.

My health insurance will cover any wrecks. :big grin:

I don't suppose actual race events cost much more than that? I was seriously thinking about getting a prepped SV650 since they're plentiful, cheap, and would seemingly make for a good bike to learn the basics on. That and I hear the SV series is quite healthy.

5. Short Bus

Short Bus Beep beep!

Things I need...

Trailer and hitch - $1500
    Bike - $3000 to $5000
    Leathers - $1000
    Boots - $300
    Gloves - $100

I have gear, but it's all street oriented gear. Gore-Tex boots, Aerostich, etc. My old helmet should still be good to go. After selling the STi and the coilovers I should have no problem paying for all that.

6. squid

squid braap

ramp, and back protector

if you're going racing you need to count in the cost of prepping the bike; safety wiring is a pain in the ass or expensive, depending on the route you take

7. Short Bus

Short Bus Beep beep!

I was going to try to buy a bike that had already been prepped and set up for track work. :dunno:

8. balticmkiv

balticmkiv boostaholic OT Supporter

Trackdays can be expensive depending on what event providers you go with and how far the track is from you. I typically end up spending almost $500 for a trackday. For example, Thunderhill costs about $180 for entry fees and the track is a 3-4hr drive pulling a trailer. I generally need to fill my truck up twice (about $120) and grab a hotel for a night ($50-80). Count in food and it can add up quick.

There are tracks like Infineon and Laguna Seca that are close (about an hour drive) but the entry fee is about $300 for these tracks so the money you save on gas/hotel goes to the entrance fee.

This sport is not cheap. You still need to factor in tires, gas for the bike, oil changes and brake pads. But its soooooo worth it.

-Carlo

9. Jerm

Jerm I

Exactly why I'm thinking of getting a supermoto :o

10. Bugalu

Bugalu OT Supporter

where?

11. Junkie

Junkie re-tarded OT Supporter

I think Stockton here is $25 without a membership, $20 with one. It's a kart track with a dirt portion added in (or so I've read)

12. squid

squid braap

Kart tracks are cheap. Grangé & Adams are the two big ones here, they are $30 & $40 respectively.

13. 200sr20

200sr20 New Member

Last time out it was $250 all said and done(fuel, food, entry, ect.....)