A&P Question for the SLR people

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Ballast, Jun 9, 2003.

1. Ballast

Ballast Cold Heartless Bastard

Okay, TypeSDragoon has convinced me to get a Canon 10D instead of the Nikon D100 (and through my reading of reviews and sample pics).

I can't afford one right now, i'm going to buy the camera body with my spring bonus. However, I've never had an SLR before, and want to get familiar with them. And I just want a decent film camera. So i'm going to get an entry level SLR that takes the same lenses.

So I'm trying to decide between the Canon Rebel 2000, and the Canon Rebel Ti. They seem to be almost the same camera. But I'm having trouble finding reviews on them. I just want to arm myself with some info before I go shopping. Anyone know much about these cameras? Or want to talk me into going with Nikon?

2. bioyuki

bioyuki Ich habe Angst

TypeS is a dirty, dirty cunt :fawk:.

In all seriousness though, Canon's Prosumer SLRs/DSLRs are just as good as Nikon's but their entry level SLRs leave a lot to be desired. They're basically cheap as hell and pretty shitty. If you're going to buy a Canon SLR then at least get a Elan 7E or a EOS-3.

On the other hand you can get a great deal on a Nikon N80 right now or even a N75 ;).

3. Ballast

Well, i went to the camera store today. And after playing with the 10d and the d100, i have definately decided to go canon. The pics were all about the same, but the canon just felt better in my hand.

As far as what entry level film slr to get, the people there said the opposite of you. They said get the cheapest one that will take the same lenses. They even had used ones there. They said since I didn't really want to keep it, I could just trade the body in when I come to buy the digital.

So i'm gonna spend some money when I get my paycheck at the end of the month. :blue:

4. realest00

realest00 New Member

Canon's rebel series are awesome entry level SLR's. However, their entry level lenses are :sad2:

5. Joe

Joe 2015 :x: OT Supporter

good decision going with the 10d, but what do you expect to learn using the film camera? if you're looking to learn things like how to set an fstop, how to get good depth of field, differnt shutter speeds, etc, i don't really think you're going to be very sastified with a rebel 2000 or even a rebel ti

unfortunately, like most people have mentioned, canon's consumer film SLRs suck major ass, you'd be better off going to a camera show, getting a real old camera (AE-1s whoo!!!) and learning from that. it'd probably be cheaper, you'll learn all about a camera faster (cause there's alot less automatic settings) and you can get them pretty cheap

but yeah, agian, good move going with the canon dslr, i got two friends, one with a 10d and one with a d100 and my friend with the d100 is selling his nikon cause the canon is so much better.

oh, and personally, i'd shoot nothing but slides. you'll see how pictures come out better and you'll see your mistakes with learning the camera better.

6. TypeSDragoon

TypeSDragoon Guest

:big grin:

7. Ballast

well, i was thinking i'd get the film slr and take a camera/photography class with it. but now i'm thinking "my expenses are low right now, so maybe i should just save and by october i could buy the camera and a set of USM lenses to start..."

then maybe take a photography class and learn all about f-stops. I know i have them on my olympus, and i know how to set them. i just don't quite know how they work.

8. Joe

little bit of a warning, good pro canon lenses are expensive as hell...

and there was a thread ago with the recommendation for upton and upton (i guess it's upton and london now)'s photography book... get it, it's worth the 60 some bucks they charge for it

9. TypeSDragoon

TypeSDragoon Guest

depends on your definition of "expensive" :p

a good all around lens is the Canon 28-135mm IS lens. it's very quite and very fast focusing, decent zoom
    LINK

good macro lens :)
    LINK

good zoom lens (especially if you use a 2x teleconverter with it)
    LINK

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2003
  10. bioyuki

bioyuki Ich habe Angst

I wanna buy a used F100 so I can shoot Velvia again :o :o :o.

11. bioyuki

bioyuki Ich habe Angst

No shit thats a good zoom lens, it also costs 1.6k. A 2x or 1.4x TC is another couple hundred :fawk:

12. TypeSDragoon

TypeSDragoon Guest

it's the next lens i'm buying :o :cool: IS is a must!

13. bioyuki

bioyuki Ich habe Angst

I want the Nikon equivalent sooooooooooooooo bad. :hs:

14. Ballast

is tamron a good lens company? a shop in town carries the 28-300 that they make for the canon, and i was wondering if it might be a good starter lens. (the chick at the store said it would be good to start with, and then buy more expensive lenses as i get the money to upgrade).

15. TypeSDragoon

TypeSDragoon Guest

300mm better have IS. don't get a zoom lens without IS otherwise you'll be kicking yourself in the ass.

if this lens is 28-300, what is the speed of it?
    (it'll look something like this : 28-300mm f/2.8 IS, the f/2.8 would represent the "speed" of the lens)

16. Joe

tamron sucks... i used to have to sell them and they're POSes...

heh, yeah, velvia is nice... my buddy spent 1400 bucks to close a PO at prophoto and i got 6 free rolls of velvia (35mm).. also got like 5 rolls of provia 400 (35), 4 of provia 100 (35), 3 rolls of nps (120), 2 rolls of npc (120), 2 rolls of npz (120), 2 rolls of velvia (120) and i get some of the sheets of the npc 4x5... it was like christmas! june is taken care of...

oh, and we also got a box of kodak UC, i'll share on how it compares in a week or two...

17. Joe

oh, and if you're looking for nikon lenses, my friend who's selling his d100 is selling all of his lenses too... i don't know what he's gona do with his f4 or his n90...

18. Ballast

that tamron lens is: F3.5-6.3

19. TypeSDragoon

TypeSDragoon Guest

but does it have IS ? 300mm is alot of zoom, and without IS you are going to have alot of blurry pictures from camera shake

20. bioyuki

bioyuki Ich habe Angst

I'm interested.

21. bioyuki

bioyuki Ich habe Angst

f/6.3 is pretty slow for 300mm.

TypeS, the only companies that offer image stabilization/vibration reduction are Nikon and Canon. Sigma just developed the tech and has implemented it on one lens so far. Tamron and Tokina are very far behind.

22. bioyuki

bioyuki Ich habe Angst

Use a tripod asshole :fawk:

23. Ballast

can you give me a quick crash course in f-stops??

i will be taking lots of pics of cars at race tracks (but mostly street cars at them, i'm not talking about F1 speeds)

24. TypeSDragoon

TypeSDragoon Guest

which is why i asked if it had IS ! because it's such a slow lens ! :fawk:

don't cheap out on lenses. if you are going to get something greater than 200mm , then make sure it is f/2.8 at least with IS

the more zoom you have , the more camera shake you'll see (duh). a tripod isn't someting you want to carry around all the time when going to event's, especially things like autoX. the majority of things you'll be taking pictures of are done hand-held and you would want IS to keep the shot steady when you are at full zoom

you really need to learn what the "speeds" mean for lenses and how it affects picture taking depending on what you are doing.

like i said above, a good all around lens is the Canon 28-135mm IS f/3.5-5.6
    LINK
    $400

it's a very good starter lens for anybody

25. TypeSDragoon

TypeSDragoon Guest

also, don't forget. whatever lens you buy MAKE SURE you get a filter for it. it's better to get dirt/crap on the filter rather then directly on the lens itself