Question For The Pros v Blue Nissan

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by jjski78, Mar 25, 2007.

1. jjski78

jjski78 New Member

Ok guys, I read the stickies, and am still a bit lost. I have a 2005 Nissan Frontier in Electric Blue. So far I have been using your basic OTC Meguiars 3 step process. Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner, Polish, and Carnauba Wax. I follow up every wash with the Meguiars Quick Detailer Spray. My truck is nice and shiny, and it feels very slick, especially after using the Clay Magic. The problems I am having are these: It doesn't get that deep wet look I've been looking for, and I can't, for the life of me, get my black plastic cowl panel to turn black again. I'll Armor All the crap out of it, and as soon as the Armor All dries, it turns powdery grey. So since there are soooo many different professional products out there, I was wondering if anyone can recommend some to fix my two problems. I was thinking about getting ONR for my next wash purchase, but after that I'm totally stumped. Any help would be fantastic!!!

2. jjski78

jjski78 New Member

Ok, I've been looking at the Werkstatt stuff and the Optimum stuff. The thread Scottwax put up with the cars he did with opti-seal have definitely got me sold on that as soon as it comes out. But what kind of polish would anyone recommend of the two?? They would be applied via rotary or PC, since I already have a rotary, and as soon as I get my state tax return back, I will be purchasing a PC. Any recommendations would be AWESOME!!

3. Paulie Walnuts

Paulie Walnuts Im an agent of chaos

I personally do not care for Optimum's polishing line. I would go with Menzerna personally.

4. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

I'd polish it out as needed with whichever Optimum product(s) you need and either use Poli-Seal or Werkstatt's Prime as a base for Opti-Seal, which should be out next week. :x:

5. jjski78

jjski78 New Member

Thanks for all the advice guys! Hopefully I can get my truck to shine like a pool of water. It's pretty shiny right now, well, under all the damn pollen that gets puked on it daily, but I want that pool of water look. Plus, the standard Meguiars doesn't make the metal-flake pop like I want it. I think I'm just gonna go Optimum for everything. No sense in ordering from two different companies if I don't need to.

On a side note....is the Opti-Seal a replacement for wax?? Or should I wax over the Opti-seal??

6. Run N. Gun

Run N. Gun Active Member

I like the Werkstatt Prime (applied with a PC) and Jett and the look it gives metallic blue.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am going to pick up some of Opti-seal and try it on top of Werstatt Prime. I will post the results.

I look forward to seeing how your Nissan turns out!

7. Scottwax

Opti-Seal is a sealant but performs the same function as a wax.

8. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Poorboys Trim Restore would work well for that front facia.

I recemend hitting it with an APC, and a scrub brush to get any residue and dirt out of the grain, then hit it with the trim restore.

Another vote for Prime. Friend of mine picked some up...holy shit is all i could say.

I just got paid from my new job, so im planning on picking some up for the enxt time i do a customers car.

9. jjski78

jjski78 New Member

Well, I got the cowl panel black again. Mother's Back To Black works freaking awesome! So now I'm wondering something. I'm gonna give the Werkstatt stuff a try, but I have a couple questions. First, can Prime be applied by a rotary?? Second, I was thinking about doing the Acrylic Jett, and then topping it with carnauba Jett, and then when it comes out topping further with Opti-Seal. Good idea?? Bad Idea?? Just fishing for some more opinions.

10. Scottwax

I am sure Prime can be applied via rotary, keep it under 1000 rpm and use a finishing pad. You can use Opti-Seal over cured carnauba.

11. Run N. Gun

Run N. Gun Active Member

So, can I assume that a rotary w/finishing pad @ <1000RPM is similar enough to a PC with orange pad @ 5000RPM?

Follow up question to jjski's question about layering the products:

If the polish literally polishes the clear and wax adds gloss, what then is the visual benefit of adding the Opti-Seal to such a combination? If my score keeping is correct we're doing polish, sealant, waiting 12 hours then applying carnuba, then more sealant. Man, that's a lot of work!

Last edited: Apr 4, 2007
  12. jjski78

jjski78 New Member

Got my order into Werkstatt. Got a bottle of Prime, Acrylic Jett, and Acrylic Glos coming in. Figured the Carnauba Jett on top would just be a lot of damn work, so I decided to leave that out. Can't wait til it comes in!! I will post pics when it's all done. Now I just gotta get a PC, but I think I'll do my truck by hand since it's only 1.5 years old and still in pretty good shape. No swirls or scratches, other than the 2 down to the primer that a buffer won't touch. Stupid people and their shopping carts!:madfawk:

13. Run N. Gun

Run N. Gun Active Member

Cool! I can't wait to see the results!!

14. jjski78

jjski78 New Member

Well, I've neglected this thread, and my truck for a long while, but I think the truck will be done in the next 2 days. Here's a list of everything I bought:

PC7424!!! I finally got one!! Woot! No more rotary for me on new paint!!
    2 Wolfgang Orange Light Cutting Pads
    2 CCS White Polishing Pads
    2 CCS Gray Finishing Pads
    1 CCS Blue Finessing Pad
    Optimum Polish
    Werkstatt Prime
    Werkstatt Acrylic Jett
    Plain Old Meguiars Gold Class Wash
    Clay Magic Clay Bar

Hopefully the weather here in NC cooperates enough to let me get it done. I'll be sure to post before/after pics too!

15. Run N. Gun

Run N. Gun Active Member

Excellent! Can't wait to see the results!