Question for the Powerlifters

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by chickenadobo, Apr 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chickenadobo

chickenadobo New Member

Hey guys, was just wondering how those who are powerlifters on this board became powerlifters. You didn't just one day decide I want to powerlift did you? Was it after a few years of training in the gym that you decided to compete? I am really interested in powerlifting but have really shitty numbers (s/b/d : 205x5/180x1/225 (convent. 5x5 (245x1 sumo'd for fun)) at 5'5" 155lbs. But I love working hard in the gym and I love going all out and I love every bit of lifting. Just wanna hear your stories :).

2. Perkwunos

Perkwunos Dog Bones OT Supporter

no, it was pretty much, one day, i was on thsi forum, somoen poested soemthign about powerlifting, and I was like, SHIT fat guys, I was fat... Strong, I was gettign there... and crazy, pretty much had that covered, I figured it was the right thing to do.

3. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

Just kind of stumbled on it from the internets. I've always been pretty strong, but never had a clue what I was doing when it came to routines because my high school football program consisted of me reading through FLEX and my college ball routine was a joke.

browsing around some forums I became aware of the Metal Militia and Westside Barbell. After a bunch of reading I decided it was a perfect fit for me. I've been addicted since I discovered www.elitefts.com and started browsing the articles and learning about the sport.

In all honesty, OT had a large impact on my joining the PL world. Chris was still training PL style (he trains for strongman now) and was a huge help in my starting up. Its been all trial, error, reading, and learning since.

4. nathanbx

nathanbx New Member

I saw rychlak and thought man i'd do anything to look like that, I found out he was a powerlifter and I've been down ever since

5. Perkwunos

werd sean!

6. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

:rofl: you fuckin asshole

7. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

tis the truth nigga

8. Phineas Q Stork

Phineas Q Stork Active Member

i jumped on the bandwagon yet never managed to jump off

9. Simple

Simple Sexy Beatch

i think ceaze was the one who influenced me most initially because he lifted for function, i'd go browse elitefts deepsquatter etc. to try and come up with training ideas that i'd never really implement properly. i'm an awesome e-lifter though11!!

but seriously i'd been working out for a year using various routines and decided i'd start lifting for strength and let the muscle follow it.

10. N-Word-Jim

N-Word-Jim Cure for boredom

Dunno how or I decided thats what I wanted or if thats even what I am. I'd say I have two things that concern me equally:

- That I look good
    - My DSB numbers (in that order :o)

I don't worry about hitting stupid little muscles (no curls for me) and I train for strength on a PL routine, but I also have cut cycles to lean out and I never bulk to fatassery (never above 15%). All lifting I do is centered on improving the big 3, NOT making one part of me look bigger to match the others... just so long as I'm not fat, we're OK :p.

11. chickenadobo

chickenadobo New Member

yeah basically that's how I feel. Except in reverse order. I'm seeing how you guys got into it and it just seemed like a natural progression or whatever. That's cool! Thanks for the replies.

12. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

crazychickenfucker... do yourself a favor. realize you are entering into one of the least athletic and most controversial strength sports in the world (the image the masses have of us is unathletic, steroid abusing, meathead bastards... it doesnt have to be that way). do not train like an idiot.

if you get into our world, you will quickly be learned in the 4-day split with max-effort methods and rep/speed days. simply because you "have a day off" does not mean you shouldnt be training. make GPP (general physical preparedness...... conditioning) still a big priority in your training. Make sure you dedicate ample time to mobility and flexibilty. I can send you a few in depth articles on the latter. Strength comes first to us, but the majority of us don't realize early enough that bodily health and flexibility are necessary things to have a healthy life. As I quote one of the men that I train with (who realized too late and is now fixing his life) TRAIN SMART. The man I train with is Bob Youngs, you can track his progress on www.elitefts.com his other peers, most notably Dave Tate and Jim Wendler (my personal hero... ask anyone on this board) have both realized how important smart training is and have fixed/are in the progress of fixing their routines.

if you are serious about joining our society... IM me and I will strike up a conversation with you (even if I have to call your ass and talk on the phone for a half an hour) about the things I would have done differently. and please note I have not even competed in a full meet - only a push pull - I am in training for the AAPF full meet in Florida where I intend on setting at least two national AAPF Junior records, by the way. but I am smart enough to know the things I wish I had done in the past.

if you are serious... get in touch with me. you do not have to become the image the masses have of our sport to be successful... I am slowly but surely getting away from it now, and would be more than willing to help you start smart and train smart. I am all about my sport continuing and will do anything possible to start nooberts right and to do anything possible to help myself and my peers going in the right direction.

holla

Last edited: Apr 8, 2006
  13. PurEvl

PurEvl going out gassed and not half assed...

i decided to be stronger then the pl'ers here but actually look good...oh i got you good fuckers ;)

I kinda wished i went the Pl route...I would have been really good I think

14. Kotu

Kotu OT Supporter

Do you think it's possible for you to get up to tate's and wendler's level, someday? :dunno:

do these guys make any money off of(can I say that? off of? :dunno: :o) powerlifting?

15. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

there goes Pur flexing his E-Dick again...:fawk:

I got into it cause I enjoy deadlifting and I was told I'd be good at it. It has now become a huge part of my life and I have no intentions of stopping. This forum and Klow espicially were big influences in the begining and the whole "PL Crew" on this board today are also influential.

Like Maine said, PL'ing is extremely unathletic and not exactly supported by the masses. Take the time to do it right and incorporate GPP/Mobility into your training. Also be sure to listen to your body and don't overtrain.

Feel free to ask me anything and I will answer to the best of my ability but chances are I will point you in the right direction as I am definitely still a beginer.

16. Simple

Simple Sexy Beatch

powerlifters themselves don't make shit for money.

i imagine that since tate owns half of elitefts he eats comfortably.

17. nathanbx

nathanbx New Member

hey, pm the fat pig, asshole

18. nathanbx

nathanbx New Member

quit using so man emoticons, faggot

19. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

if I train smart, stay injury free, and tate as much gear as they did... absolutely.

the EFS guys make money of the shit they sell and the seminars.

PLers dont rely strictly on the sport for a living. Like Chuck V runs a prison rec yard

20. PurEvl

PurEvl going out gassed and not half assed...

its much like BB'er...top 5% make a living, the rest do it as a hobby an work elsewhere

21. Kotu

Kotu OT Supporter

and is that what you want? get up to their level? or do only want to keep this as a hobby? what do you want to do with your life?

22. nathanbx

nathanbx New Member

dude shut the fuck up

23. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

this seminar sounds like it's going to be incredible, from Dave's log:

I have been speaking with Mike Hope for some time in regards to a seminar he would like to put on. Looks like he is going to make it happen. The speakers will be: Mike Hope, James Smith, Eric Cressey, Charlie Francis, Buddy Morris and Joe Defranco. If we can get the date arranged I will also join the group. This will be in New Jersey sometime in June. Mike has a couple details to work out but I will keep you posted. When it is ready we will promote it on this site.

24. Phineas Q Stork

Phineas Q Stork Active Member

Here is a few things I would have done differently if I had to start over

1) Dont put on weight too quick. I've gone from 175-255ish in roughly a year. Way too fast, put on too much bodyfat, now starting to cut in an attempt to start over. You are going to have to gain weight to get stronger but I took it a little far.
    2) Do cardio
    3) Don't worry too much about specific weaknesses, just focus on getting stronger overall. This kinda goes along with what Chris was saying about not doing Westside type stuff. I did that for about 6 months and pretty much went nowhere until I figured out what I was doing. Only reason I got stronger was because I put on about 45-50 lbs
    4) Surround yourself with people stronger and smarter than you. My strength shot up when I started training with some bad motherfuckers.
    5) Set goals that will be hard to achieve. I'm setting the goal of totalling 1700+ at a meet in november. My current total is 1250. Sound retarded? Well, it is, but you have to push yourself and not be satisfied with little 5lb PRs. At your strength level, mine as well, you should be able to just walk past the bar to increase your deadlift.
    6) Do a meet even if you feel you aren't ready. I hear all the time about how people are waiting to hit certain numbers in teh gym before they compete, fuck that. Just do a meet. Don't bomb though, it's not fun

25. Perkwunos

that does sound bad ass, i would fly up there for all of them!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.