Question for the power lifters.

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by HighwayReaper, Oct 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HighwayReaper

HighwayReaper New Member

Bench shirts. do they go down past the elbows? I hurt my elbows doing skulls many moons ago and anythign over 500 makes my elbows ache.. what about shoulders.. what kinda shoulder protection do they give..
    the most i have ever benched is 505x5 and 535x3. but i havent really gone all out for a max because of a shoulder injury.. how would a shirt help?

2. GOGZILLA

GOGZILLA Double-Uranium Member

it usually helps support the shoulders by forcing you to tuck your elbows in. they arent exactly something you can just throw on and bench like always in they completely change the whole movement

3. HighwayReaper

HighwayReaper New Member

i see alot of talk about double ply.. single ply.. and such things. what difference do they make? do some feds only allow certain shirts?

4. GOGZILLA

GOGZILLA Double-Uranium Member

yeah you have to check with the federation what they allow. theres different materials as well. it all comes down to trying different ones and finding out what you like.

5. BarbaraWaltersPegleg

BarbaraWaltersPegleg Irish Guido

right and some shirts are so fucking tight that you almost need to be under a fuckload of weight to get that little spring they will give you

6. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

7. Memor

Memor Active Member

dont serious PLers using bench shirts have lots of shoulder problems, pretty much due to the bench shirts? Ceaze/Sean mentioned something about this in his log recently:

8. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

the bench shirts we use now are nothing like an Inzer Blast which is nothing more then a tight t-shirt....but you might be right...I think it has more to do with the weight being used then the actual bench shirt...

9. NUDES

NUDES New Member

Yeah I'd bet it does.

1) Less overall shoulder work. A lot of PL's you won't find doing much shoulder work. This cannot be good despite what any study says. Having a glaring muscle imbalance (tri's very strong, chest/shoulders not nearly as strong) is not good.

2) Handling way more weight than your body can without a shirt. This is self explanatory. The loads used far surpass what anybody will ever do raw.. that cannot be good for your joints and such.

10. Memor

Memor Active Member

:werd: kind of akin to someone jumping on tren and having the weight they use on their sets shoot up form the strength boost, and the joints fall behind and start hurting them a lot. Definitely a big strain on your body with the weight those guys are benching

11. CPop

CPop New Member

Shirts don't help the elbows.

Lots of guys neglect shoulder and/or direct chest work. I do not, nor do I recommend my guys do so. There is one guy I don't let do overhead work, but he's an isolated case and has serious shoulder problems. He's lucky he can bench.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.