MMA Question for the MMA people

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Searcher, May 9, 2006.

1. Searcher

Searcher New Member

Do you guys belive that grappling in a street fight works.......

Reason I ask is, from the fights I have been in throughtout my life, I am 32, those fights are anything goes.......kick to the nuts, eye gouge, hair pulling, biting, fish hooking etc.......I have lost probably 30% of my fights from having one of these done to me, but never from someone gnp or submitting me........Have you all had similar experiences.........

For the record I am 6'4 290 and trained for a total of a little over 4 years in a combination of JKD(1.5), Tung Soo Do(1.5), Aikido(.5), Pressure points(.5) and limited submissions about three months.......

2. Sarge21

Sarge21 Frau am Steuer Ungeheuer!

I can't speek from a grapplers point of view (I am an American Kenpoist) but I have a friend who has done BJJ for 4 years and we were showing each other some stuff one day. He conceded that given the situation around a streetfight (NO rules whatsoever) that he would not be able to adequetly defend himself against me. Now in a cage, if he were to get me to the ground, and i would not be allowed any eye gouging, groin striking, or what not, he could likely submit me.

But the reality of a streetfight is that those rules do not exist and i will do WHATEVER is necessary to not go to the ground (or be on the ground for the shortest amount of time possible). The reason is because in these times you hardly ever have to fight just one person, it usually him and two or three of his friends. I do not want be wrestling around on the ground with someone while another person cracks me over the head with a beer bottle. I get in, end the conflict, and survey the area for other possible attackers. These reasons are why I train a combative art and not submission wrestling (we do train defenses against grapplers), I have no desire to compete in a cage but rather the desire to be able to 100% protect myself and my family in 99% of situations that can arise.

3. geekboy

geekboy Target Agent OT Supporter

That's why I have my concealed weapon permit

4. Searcher

Searcher New Member

I think you and I share the same views on fighting.....it isn't a sport......

5. chackrafool

chackrafool New Member

If it's one on one submission is doable, but if he's got his friends around--which has always been the case when I've gotten into fights, i only rely on my striking.

6. Searcher

Searcher New Member

I mean in a one on one situation.......

7. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

just because you can gouge someones eyes doesnt mean an armbar doesnt work. and usually a good grappler will end up on top of you.. where hes going to have an easier time gouging your eyes compared to you

8. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

I think it's hilarious that guys who pull the girlfighting card somehow expect that magically if I use BJJ on teh street, that I can't bite, scratch, grab balls, etc... and that with my knowledge of holding dominant positions that it wouldn't be much easier for me to do these things to you than it would for you to do em to me?

that being said I'm not a pure bjj guy, and on teh street, especially in multi opponent situations, I'm going to use my bjj if I'm caught on the bottom, to escape back to my feet and gtfo if necessary. in a pure streetfight I wouldn't be submitting anyone unless I knew for a fact nobody else would jump in.

but still. the bite/scratch argument is a silly one. none of those things are fight enders, especially if you are pumping with adrenalin.

9. Maestro Nobones

oh and if you didn't know, bjj was developed through vale tudo fighting. vale tudo means 'anything goes' in portugese, and you could do all the eye poking and nutsack biting you wanted.

10. geekboy

hmm, I thought BJJ was developed through Japanese Jujitsu. I don't think i've ever been trained on eye poking, nutsack biting and hair pulling...but that doesn't mean I can't do it. On the second thought, I don't think you can ever "train" anybody on eye poking, nutsack biting.

11. Sarge21

I agree with everything you said in that you also have the ability to strike eyes, groin etc... But the big question is how do you train? because that is how you will fight. If you never train to eye gouge, go to the groin, throat etc... and you also never train to defend against these types of attacks, Then in a fight you wont instantly think to use them, or defend against them, nor will you have a technical advantage over someone trained to make maximal use of these vital target areas.

From most bjj fighters that have known and trained with, none of them ever bothered to guard their eyes, throat, or groin. To me, the ingrained cage-fighting mindset is not one i can chance to have and then hope to be able to turn off at a moments notice.

I subscribe to the saying "Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect." In this case, "perfect" is ending the confrontation by any means necessary. And while you may resort to said techniques as a method of escaping a precarious position. I will use them (among other things) as primary offensive weapons.

So i wouldn't necessarily call it a "girlfighting card" as much as it is a school of thought. Where most BJJ schools (i can't say "all" here) are aligned with the cage-fight school of thought, I prefer to train under the pure street-combative side of the arts. There is a distinct difference between the two.

12. Maestro Nobones

I recognize the difference. I am not a pure BJJ guy and one of my schools is a tony blauer certified gym, we practice for teh street. but I also recognize the value of BJJ training and feel that by using the nutsack biting as an excuse NOT to train groundfighting is like putting your fingers in your ears and going "LA LA LA GROUNDFIGHTING DOES NOT EXIST I WILL BITE YOUR NUTS LALALA".

How do you train defense against grapplers if you don't grapple?

13. Maestro Nobones

and I'll ask again how do you train eye pokes, nut kicks, etc, on a resisting opponent in real time at your school?

14. Maestro Nobones

it was developed from judo/jujitsu, but the brazillian part of it came to the state we know it today through vale tudo fighting

15. geekboy

Instructor: "Hey guys, get on the mats and start biting/kicking each other in the nuts" :ugh:

16. SquirtRussel

SquirtRussel OT Supporter

god i would kill someone if they touched my eyes, thats always been a fear of mine

and sarge21 how the hell do you have your perfect practices without having gone blind, sterile, or had your trachea ripped out?

17. Maestro Nobones

you know given the wide variety of colorful and exotic blood-borne diseases out there, I don't feel all that motivated to fucking bite some crackhead that wants my shoes.

18. SquirtRussel

SquirtRussel OT Supporter

i really dont know what my stance is on me possibly using such tactics in a fight, havent ever yet in a street fight which ive had a few of, and havent had them done to me. but i dont want to go straight for the ballsack everytime i fight for fear of him doing the same...

19. Sarge21

I with agree 100% of everything but the last paragraph.

20. Placebo

Placebo New Member

No. Judo.

21. WiKiD

WiKiD U MAD?

I have used BJJ in a street fight in two instances and it worked flawlessly. Given it was the perfect 1 on 1 situation but BJJ is very applicable in a street fight. One fight was a drunk SMU kid so there really wasnt much scrapping at all. The second one fights like mentioned above with scratching, biting, gouging, he even tried to fish hook me. Once you establish a good mount with your hips forward the damage that can be done to you is minimal. BJJ is not the end all be all in a street fight like some schools like to say. But when combined with your own knowledge it is a very good tool in self defense.

22. Trisomy21

Trisomy21 New Member

It's all on the situation. If there's a bunch of people around, then no, cause one of them might run over and kick you in the head unless you snap that arm or whatever real quick and get back up maybe. You also have to take your terrain into account. Wouldn't want to grapple someone on broken glass, rocks, or other such pointy things.

23. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

My first two fights ended with a headlock and wrist lock so a submission can definitely end a fight.

24. Searcher

Searcher New Member

I guess it all depends on the situation.....

25. Maestro Nobones

and lava, don't forget about hot lava!