Question for the ladies about getting engaged

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by Maffy29, Dec 19, 2007.

1. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

How important is the actual engagement ring in the whole equation?

I'm asking because a friend of mine recently got engaged and he hasn't given her a ring yet.

2. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

Well I think it's safe to say a large percentage (mostly all) of women associate an engagement/wedding ring with getting married. Therefore they are important.

I'm really low maitenance and when I think about my future wedding I know it will be ridiculously low-key and cheap. However, I still want a ring. Call me old fashioned but I just love the idea of having one on my finger for the world to see. It doesn't have to be expensive or extraordinary by any means. And I would accept an engagement without a ring at first...but I would still hope for one to come eventually :) Is your friend getting her a ring in the future or no?

I remember Yail said he and his wife didn't wear rings.

3. yankeeschick14

yankeeschick14 New Member

yeah, i agree with IWYWB in that its not necessary at first, but would be nice eventually, even though it doesnt have to be extravagent. My boss just turned 45 and just got a diamond 'engagement" ring from her husband of many years, as they could only afford cubic zirconia when they first got engaged.

I dont think most women are like that though, I think they want the ring when he pops the question or very very soon after.

4. Phantom Empress

Phantom Empress mmmmmm tasty!!!

no ring for me. the only ring i'd want is a wedding band, but even then, i'm non-tradition enough for someother symbolic something or other. i don't think diamonds are worth the hype.

5. Leah

Leah Well-Known Member

I think it's pretty important to most women, just because it's a tangible symbol of committment. My boyfriend and I could easily call ourselves "engaged" because we've lived together for 3 years and talked endlessly about getting married someday...but those are private thoughts and conversations. Him getting me a ring makes everything official because that's the point where we will tell our parents, friends, coworkers, etc...it's also when we'll begin making "official" plans for the wedding.

6. sportsjunkie

sportsjunkie OT Supporter

I don't think it's important at all.

I don't really expect an engagement ring. Although when marriage time comes, I think I'd like to have one, but nothing too fancy. A nice band will do :o

7. Yuppy

Yuppy Have a seat right there....

i think it is important. isnt the engagement story supposed to be romantic.

it sounds like they had a convo 'hey lets get married' 'ok'

thats kind of why the ring matters. but im a guy so idk.

8. f00l

f00l Active Member

wow first your the first girl I have seen say this

nice av btw:bigthumb:

9. Phantom Empress

My dad proposed to my mom on his lunch break one day. "you know, i think we should get married" "ok" and then they walked over to the jewelrey store to pick a ring.

10. Phantom Empress

:dunno:
    there are stronger binds than an overpriced ring.

11. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

I'm very weird. Like I mentioned before, I would get married by a witch doctor on the beach in Jamaica or at a Las Vegas wedding chapel because it's fun and not extravagent...but for some weird reason I just find the whole engagement part romantic. I fantasize about that more than the actual wedding.

12. f00l

f00l Active Member

I agree

but I mostly hear women talk about how important a ring is

13. Phantom Empress

yeah, i know. i hear it all the time too. people think i'm nuts that i don't participate in that shit. I think i've proven enough times that i'm atypical..

14. Yuppy

yea ive seen too many movies too. but i think the engagement should be special. i might be that guy who does it in front of 80k people @ a hawkeye game so that way if she says no she gets booed but . . .

15. lauren

lauren Active Member

my mom never got a ring, and bought her own wedding band. hence, i don't expect one at all. i can see how others have a different view though. :dunno:

16. yankeeschick14

yankeeschick14 New Member

definately agree. I have a friend who has a fire topaz instead that she bought herself a year after she was married to the guy because he kept insisting that she have an engagement ring on her finger. I think its absolutely gorgeous, and much more unique.

17. eskarinna

eskarinna New Member

Thats how we did it. He asked me to marry him. I said yes. Then every once in a wile he would ask me again in the most romantic opportunities. Then 6 mo later we decided is time to make it legitimate engagement but he was not sure how to choose a ring that i would absolutely love so one day as we were walking past a jewlery store he said lets go in and look. We did he asked me which ring i like the most i tried some found the favorite and he just bought it.

Teaser he didn't let me wear it he said i will have to wait so he can do it the right way. 20 days later he perposed again, on his knees, with flowers and the ring. Next day we announced it.

May be not as romantic and unexpected but I am def. more happy with a ring i like and wear with pleasure.

To elaborate my first engagement ring was pain in the ass to wear.
    First it was gold, I am a doughter of silversmith so all my jewlery is either silver or white gold to match the silver.
    2. i am actualy alergic to gold esp earings so i couldn't match it with anything.

3. my ex as someone who has never worn jewlery didn't know the importance of how the ring was build. He got me one of those cheap princess cup settings that kept on getting stuck to clothing, cut his hand, cut me and etc.
    4. when we did go to buy wedding ring there was nothing in our budget that could match or complete the engagement ring and looked rather ugly just a stack of random rings.

For some women the value of the ring is also important. Especialy if the guy can afford easily a ring that is over 1k but goes and buys $99 one. I personaly only cared about comfort and design.

18. eskarinna

eskarinna New Member

btw to the gals that say no ring for them.

I found out with my first engagement ring the power they have. Whenever i am ringless i constantly have to shake of people who try to hit on me. I am the type of girl that even thought i am very open minded and open about sex, i get easily embarassed when i get that type of attention by people i hardly know or not know at all. I hate when guys try to hit on me when i am with someone and i find it very awkward and uncomfortable. However both times that i was engaged and wore the ring those hit on attacks went to almost non and i feel much more confident that i can have a converstation at work with a guy without him trying to hit on me or get the wrong idea.

The fix for that with no ring is to start saying " my fiancee" or "my husband" in the beginning of the converstation to send the msg around but the result usualy is the man across you starts womdering hey how come she is not wearing her ring?

19. Yuppy

yea im lazy like a fox so for me the progression goes

2-3 years: Promise ring.
    5+ engaged
    year 7-8 married.

20. Kirbys Autumn

Kirbys Autumn Mrs. Kirby McSpic

. I am engaged and have a simple wedding band right now. I'm happy with that, but eventually I would like an engagement ring.

21. Amanda Ann

Amanda Ann New Member

Yeah, I'm probably going to have to see an engagement ring first before I said yes unless we were together for some crazy amount of time and marriage was implied.

22. Yuppy

i believe also in being financially stable BEFORE marriage, so if you cant afford a ring you really can't afford to be married either.... but then again love is free...

23. eskarinna

eskarinna New Member

24. Amanda Ann

Amanda Ann New Member

Love doesn't pay the bills :dunno:

IMO, 18 and 19 year olds have no business getting married, unless they're like heirs to some Greek shipping company

25. Yuppy

if they are heirs to a greek shipping company then they shouldnt get married anyway. they should bang everyone they can