Question for the Ford Truck Kroo!

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Madness, Sep 2, 2006.

1. Madness

Madness Do not let Dr. Mario touch your genitals. He is no

Does the F-150 Lightning have the same wheel offset at the 96-00 Explorers? I can't stand the way the stockies look and the only aftermarket wheels I can find are all ghettofied bling blang crap. Also, anyone know of an alternative to tirerack.com that lets you view wheels/tires on the vehicle?

edit: sorry to post a tech question here, haven't found a decent ford forum yet :hs:

2. IslanderOffRoad

IslanderOffRoad Do you even lift kit? OT Supporter

Tirerack frankly sucks for viewing wheels. They don't give you enough customization options, only the shit they think you'll want on that vehicle.

Is it a Gen 1 or 2 lightning? I always thought F-Series were 6 lug wherease Explorers were 5 lug (same as ranger). I'd reccomend hitting a Lightning board and asking for some pics of what some people have.

IMO though, you can't go wrong with American Racing Torque Thrusts. They make a 6spoke/6lug version if it is indeed a 6 lug

Its not a Lightning, but here they are on my old 95 S10

[​IMG]

3. Madness

nope 5'ers :hs:. I should've been more clear, I don't have a lightning, I just bought a 97 Explorer with what was gonna be the down payment on a GTO. Since I've got a little cash left, I want to spruce it up a bit with some wheels and the Lightning's are the only respectable sporty ones I could think of.

[​IMG]

Oh and TireRack does suck, they don't even have the Exploder in their "vehicle search".

4. Oman4x4

Oman4x4 OT Supporter

I think anything F150 based (Lightning and Expedition incl) is a 5x135mm bolt pattern, where as the Explorer is a 5x4.5" bolt pattern. I know the Explorer axle is a favourite cheap axle to be put in a Wrangler, which is a 5x4.5 pattern.

5. matrix243

matrix243 My body, is ready.

6. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

F150online like posted or Fordtruckworld.

though usually f150online has more people who know technical specs.

7. Madness

You're right, just found www.explorerforum.com Sunday and they said the same. On the plus side, the 4.5 is the same bolt pattern as the Mustang, which gives me soo much more options for wheels now :wiggle:.

8. IslanderOffRoad

IslanderOffRoad Do you even lift kit? OT Supporter

werd.

throw some bullits on there

9. elder elemental

elder elemental New Member

The Mustang has a much different backspacing however. To run any of those wheels you would need 1.25-1.5" spacers, which I do not recommend. I used to have Cobra R's on my Explorer before I lifted it, and needed spacers all the way around.

10. Madness

1.5"? I don't think they'd be that bad... the Saleen 18's that I'm drooling over only needed .25's in the front so the center caps would fit, and the owner claims they're not rubbing. But clearance on some of the other wheels may vary.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 16, 2006
  11. Oman4x4

Oman4x4 OT Supporter

I'd be worried about Mustang wheels not being up to the weight of the Explorer. Stay away from narrow-spoke designs and you should be ok though.

Look at aftermarket wheels people throw at Wranglers - they may have the right backspacing to work for you. I don't know if 15's are ok with the Explorer brake calipers up front, but in that pic with the 18's it looks like there's tons of room...

12. thegoodson

thegoodson This morning she made me eat her hair pie.

go to tires.com. see wheels on your truck. somewhat limited selection though...

13. elder elemental

elder elemental New Member

Here is my explorer way back when I had the Cobra R's on it.
    [​IMG]

My truck is a 4 wheel drive, so I definately needed 1.5 inches of spacing for the wheels to clear the hub. You can see even with 1.5" adapters on there that the wheels didn't stick out much.