Question for the employed IT crew

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Mikey D, Aug 20, 2009.

1. Mikey D

Mikey D New Member

I received a call today from a recruiter for a permanent system administrator supervisor position. In talking with the recruiter I could tell the job they're trying to fill is more weighted on the AIX administration side of things. This worries me because my honest skills and experience is more on the Solaris and backup administration side of things, i.e. Tivoli Storage Manager, Cisco SAN's, etc.. I definitely know AIX but I haven't done nearly as much as I have with Solaris, there are surely things that I would need to know for AIX that I probably don't for this position.

I can do a lot of things just due to having to know san switches, storage, tape, UNIX and what not to build our backup systems. However I don't feel right putting my foot in for a AIX supervisor position when I really don't think I'm qualified for it myself. What would you guys do in this situation?

Most things I don't know I can figure out by reading through documentation but if I'm in a supervisor role that shouldn't be the norm and I fear it would be.

I talked to the recruiter for about fifteen minutes and I really got the feeling they wanted me to doctor up my resume to fit what this company is looking for. They wanted to have a final resume to submit to the company on Friday but right now all I can think about is calling them back tomorrow and saying hey I don't think you've got the right candidate here. Am I being too cautious or should I at least interview and see what they say? I guess even if they did like me ultimately the final decision is up to me.

2. Hate Crime

Hate Crime Don't Hate OT Supporter

are you employed?

3. Mikey D

Mikey D New Member

That I am, if I wasn't I wouldn't think twice about going to the interview

4. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

look at your options.

- does this place have opportunities to grow?
    - does it seem more stable?
    - is this a path you would want to take?

Based on the answer of the third question, it doesn't seem like you want to pursue this route. Unless you have a really bad job now with no room to grow, I would simply pass.

On a side note, my employer is currently looking for a strong TSM admin. But this is on the east coast.

5. Mikey D

Mikey D New Member

As I talked it over with some family I think I am going to pass on this opportunity and just thank them for the interest in me. It's a supervisor position and I know what I expect out of a supervisor and I don't think I'm that person.

I probably have more opportunities to grow where I'm at, how stable the potential position and my current one is really debatable. Probably stability wise I'd think it's about equal. Path wise I've always thought going more of the engineering role and getting some more system admin and actual storage/SAN administration experience.

Stress level and work/personal life balance I can't see many other jobs being worse than what I'm dealing with now. To me though that could be a bad reason to make my decision if I just want to "get out".

Going to sleep on it and see how I feel in the morning.

Too bad about the TSM position, I honestly am extremely strong with Tivoli and very good with the UNIX side of things and SAN wise. I could easily put together a large enterprise backup solution from disk, vtls, SAN switches, and servers.

6. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

if they were asking you to accentuate your AIX, that's one thing, but i would recommend against doctoring a resume to make yourself appear to be something you're not. there was nothing more aggravating than finding a candidate who appeared great on paper only to find out they were not honest about their real experience.

7. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

Hmm, since there are two SAN guys in this thread, I would like to get your thoughts on something we've been talking about here.

Do you use any type of low cost disk storage for WORM like data? We have a need to store hundreds of TB of data that normally gets created and then read every once in a while. There will be a minimal or no need to change or refresh the data, but when the data needs to be read, it would be best if it was immediately available. We can't say archive it to tape and then restore it from tape and they use the data. The restore from tape or disk will take too long for the customer.

I've been looking at MAID products, but are not sure of the reliability or the fit. Also looking at solutions that spin down the drives to save power. Looking at ones that offer deduping the data to conserve space.

Couple vendors I've been reading about are copan, permabit, nexsan, and few other small ones I've seen at conferences that I can't remember...

Have you ever used anything like this? If so what are your experiences.

8. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

we got a Centera from EMC for that type of shit. i haven't been involved with it at all though. the windows guys are using it a lot for our email and file server archivals and we'll be using it for archiving our Celerra NAS device soon once we get it up and online.