WEB question for the 9-5 webmasters

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by BoostedBoogie, Apr 25, 2008.

1. im about to graduate and get my bachelor's pretty soon with my next semester being my last and was wondering what kind of things have you guys out there learned after migrating past the "entry-level" stage of web development?

i've been freelancing for almost 3 years now and have worked small web jobs here and there, but i haven't considered anything long-term until after i graduate and was just curious as to what king of things you get involved in when it comes to on-site training and what languages/techniques you've had to maintain in order to keep up with the industry.

also curious about what your daily routine is like at the office. with my small jobs, mostly doing interfaces, that's all i pretty much did. :hs:

i'm wondering about this in all aspects of the industry, not just xhtml, so flash/database/asp/perl/etc guys feel free to chime in.

2. Logik

Logik Livin la vida broka

generally, 9-5 webmasters arent programmers or design guys... you might want to ask what a *nix admin does in a 9-5 job.. since it would be similar but with more responsibilities.

how are your bash skillz?

3. macistaniMac

macistaniMac New Member

Lots of meetings if you work in a big company.

If you aren't good with [non-technical] people, you aren't going anywhere. period.

Don't let the company buy you a cell phone, this holds double-true if its a smart phone.

4. macistaniMac

macistaniMac New Member

Addendum: Learn to manage projects and perform business analysis or learn to enjoy being outsourced in the not-so-distant future. Things ARE still moving in that direction.

5. tehganj

tehganj oh, hi.

you speak the truth, sir. :rofl:

6. Vtec44

Vtec44 OG!

cell phone/smart phone = wireless leash! Unfortunately, I have a wireless leash. :(

7. macistaniMac

macistaniMac New Member

Yup. I dodged that bullet by a hair. Joined up when we were a hated bastard department. Now we have money and all the new guys are given smart-phones, but they haven't noticed I don't have one yet (of course I check my work email a few times a night and make sure everything's in order before I leave, unlike the newbies)

8. what do you mean by bash? :dunno:

that's what i've heard. one of my classmates, skilled at programming like crazy, is at a mobile place and he left that job once he found a firm willing to pick him up since he was learning actionscript at such a fast pace. said working there was horrible and was going nowhere.

9. AbortionSurvivor

AbortionSurvivor Active Member

bash is shell scripting.
    You'll want to automate 90% of the things you do b/c chances are that they will break in the same way again later.

10. ohh yeah we've been getting into doing cron jobs and other things like that as well as using some shell.

i've done some shell stuff back in the day, but that was for stupid immature malicious stuff ver. usb hackdrives, keystroke generators, "my documents" xcopy drives, etc.

11. biawokauns

biawokauns New Member

for one, it's not called webmastering :o

i've found from entry level web development instead of just desinging a website you really need to be able to understand all aspects of technology. you can give me a CS3 layout and I can break it up into VALID XHTML that takes advantage of VALID CSS.

i can lay out a high level concept to SEO and be crawled using best practices. i can do al this without confusing those who don't understand the low level shit.

i find myself writing more code to test production and development code. i need to understand how usability factors in to a site, know how to project manage.

you basically need to understand everything, not necessarily be a master of it, but at least understand it so you know WTF is going on

12. Kevin

Kevin New Member

I'm a 9-5 developer.

On my plate:
    - Classic ASP website
    - C# client-server accounting app
    - .NET website.

day to day, i simply check our software app to track tasks, find something to do and do it.

Most of the time we fuck around and play games though :o
    2 hour lunches are fairly common

13. Vailripper

Vailripper Daywalkers have feelings too.

Are you with a consulting shop?

14. Kevin

Kevin New Member

no, employed in the software department of an unrelated firm.