GUN Question for the 1911 crew

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by [DWI], Sep 23, 2009.

1. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

Does anyone know of a good gunsmith who does (or even if it can be done) a bobtail on a colt defender (officer I believe) style frame made out of AL?

And his name better not be Bubba, be he is an artist with a file. :squint:

2. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

You want to bobtail an officer frame?

I've only seen that done once, and it wasn't as impressive as you'd think. Not much meat there. IIRC correctly, it was over on 1911forum.org (or the other big 1911 site, it's been a while). Might try sniffing around over there and asking - some of those guys would probably get off given a new excuse to do something crazy on one.

3. GarandBobcat

GarandBobcat New Member

Yeah, this'll be a somewhat iffy project. Mostly because the regular bobtail on a fullsize or commander frame (same mainspring assembly etc) means that you go from the regular assembly to the shorter officer length.
    But when you start with the officer length, well, there's nothing shorter, so you can't remove much material or you wreck the mainspring assembly/housing and have to buy new parts or maybe even a new frame, too.

4. JRucker2004

JRucker2004 New Member

You can't make the spring much shorter than it already is on an officer sized frame, and that makes bobbing it difficult.
    I've seen one (maybe more than one) that have had the bottom of the mainspring housing rounded off, which makes it look a little bit bobbed, and I think they look pretty nice

5. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

That is what I figured by researching it, but I keep seeing one guy here or there post about bobtailing a officer frame.

I'm not really looking to do something like this as a grip issue, more as a printing reduction issue, are there any other options for breaking up the lines a little bit?

6. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

JRucker had the best idea I think..... Maybe just round off the corner really well, and give it a good dehorn-ing (or you could go with the Kimber bar-of-soap look if that was really your thing). Add thin grips too.