Question for someone with an LS6.

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Raptor13x, Aug 19, 2003.

1. Raptor13x

Raptor13x Guest

Anybody who has one, can you get the dimensions of it? Length, width, and height? Include the accessories nessesary for the engine to run, but not A/C, P/S, etc. Measure from the crank pully to where it bolts to the transmission.

I'm considering a possible engine swap and i need to know if it will fit in the engine bay, or if not, how much cutting will be nessesary.

These are the dimensions I have to work with:

length of total engine bay: 36"
    length of total engine bay possible with cutting: 40"
    length after stock transmission: 22"
    length after stock transmission with cutting and welding: up to 27"
    width: 30"
    height: 30"

Its possible for some more room to be created with a sawzall and some welding... as I've measured for there, but I'd rather not do that. I am assuming that the engine bay is plenty wide and plenty tall for the engine, but I included the info anyways just in case.

If you could do this I would greatly appreciate it :) Thank you much.
  2. Raptor13x

Raptor13x Guest

And actually I'm not all that experienced with GM cars, are all small block V8s the same outside dimensions?
  3. WhiteSSP

WhiteSSP Active Member OT Supporter

Aug 7, 2003
    LS6 is the same as a LS1 but with different intake and cam i believe.
  4. jeff2577

jeff2577 OT OG

Jul 30, 2001

And if you have the money, it can be made to fit in anything. There is a 300ZX running around town with a 350 SBC in it.
  5. you know me

you know me OT where the douchbags play

Dec 7, 2001
  6. Bad Mojo

Bad Mojo Guest

If this is for your MR2 it can be done. Do some google searches for 350 swap info.

I don't know if you have purchased one already but if you are going new (crate) Scoggin-Dickey is having a sale and their 2003 production LS6 lists for $5,289.80 and only $75 for shipping.
  7. bigsteve7

bigsteve7 Member OT Supporter

Jun 13, 2003
    The LS6 also has better heads I believe, all of which help it breath to make rev higher as well as make more power.
  8. Raptor13x

Raptor13x Guest

Yea, I probobly wont do it, but I figured its worth thinking about, you could have a much more usable powerband, NA response, and 400+rwhp with ease. That in a sub 2500lb car would make for insanely fast acceleration, yet still have decent reliability. Not to mention an all aluminum V8 is not really much, if any heavier than an iron block turboed 2.0L I4.

Right now I just want to know if its possible without ultra extensive modifications.
  9. JohnBuuu

JohnBuuu Guest

here lie all your answers....

people are putting them in everything...rx7s, civics, el caminos ....
  10. MAD PUNK inDC

MAD PUNK inDC Sic Semper Tyrannis

Mar 16, 2000
    the LS6 is actualy alot more differant than the LS1. First they differ in heads, and cam, even to this day. In past engines, they had differant intakes as well. Also the older ones are slightly differant in architecture. The LS6 has better cylinder to cylinder breathing, thanks to larger vents in the web area of the block. They also differ in casting technic. However now most of the block design upgrades, first seen in the LS6, are now also used in the LS1s. The differences should only be noted if you are looking at salvaged, or used motors.