MIL Question for Marines who recently went through ITB

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Accord, Jan 25, 2006.

1. Accord

Accord New Member

I want to be an 0311 and I know that at ITB you fill out a wish list with your MOS preferences.

I was wondering if most Marines at SOI usually got their #1 choice on their MOS wish list? Did most of the Marines who wanted to be 0311's get it?

Which MOS was the most popular choice that Marines were requesting as #1 on their wishlist?

I know that it all revolves around the needs of the Corps, but I figure perhaps a recent graduate of SOI/ITB may be able to give me the real scoop on what's actually going on, how the selection process works, and most importantly the real chances of getting the MOS you want.

I realize that someone who may want to be an 0313 or an 0352 or another MOS which isn't as common as others may not have a very good chance of actually getting assigned that particular MOS, but would someone who wants to be an 0311 have a pretty good chance of getting it?

Thanks

2. Socrates

Socrates New Member

It really depends on how cool your First Sergeant is.

We had like 190 Marines, and out of that 190, about 187 got their first choice. Only like 3 got screwed out of their first choice, and they definitely got their 2nd choice.

The most popular was 0311's. Most people wanted to be an 0311.

Everyone is trained as an 0311 for the first month, then after the split, the Weapons platoon does their own shit, and the 11's go out in the field for like 5 days a week and do the same shit over they did the first month. Grenades, SAW, m203, MOUT, speed reloading, claymores, AT-4, all of that shit.

They sleep outside for the whole week and then come back Friday. They are always dirty and eat MRE's the whole time.

Am I saying being an 11 is harder than Weapons? Hell no. Out in the field they very rarely train at night, so they usually get like 9 hours of sleep (not including firewatch, which is only an hour long anyways) --- Weapons gets like 4-6 hours, and we have to carry our heavy ass weapon systems on the hikes.

To sum it up --- you'll get the MOS you want, and weapons platoon is the shit. Bigfodee and myself are 0351's --- I love the MOS, and I know he does.

3. SoCaLlove

SoCaLlove New Member

4. Insdav3

Insdav3 Guest

ohhhhhh i need a HIGH RES Riiighhht nowwww

5. Accord

Accord New Member

hahaha, that was from Celebrity Bootcamp on FOX like 4 years ago :rofl:.

They had real former DI's and everything, they even had all the D list celebrities get off the bus at midnight at MCRDSD and all that, it was hilarious. They replay it every now and again on the new FOX reality channel.

I think Coolio won it, can't remember.

6. Accord

Accord New Member

Great, thanks a lot. It's eased my mind to know that 99.9999999% of people got their first choice, that's very good to hear.

The weapons platoon MOS' have to hump more shit though, right?

7. Socrates

Socrates New Member

Yes and no. The 0311's have to hump MORE because they have to go to their training areas all the time, but all they have are their packs and m16's. That is fucking easy. (Well you won't think it is easy in boot camp, but it really is).

On 3 of the 4 company hikes in SOI, Weapons platoon carries their extra weapon systems. Not each person though. The Javelin section of Wpns platoon, which had 25 of us, had to carry 11 Javelin MSRs (missle simulation round) which is about 40 pounds. You just keep switching off when you get tired.

It makes the hikes tough, but it is worth it, and i'd do it again in a heartbeat.

(1 last thing, on the 99.999 perecent of people getting their MOS --- that was because OUR First Sergeant was badass and figured it all out. You could get some shithead who doesn't give a shit and may have trouble getting your MOS. This is not very likely to happen at all, but it is a possibility.)

8. Accord

Accord New Member

The 1stSgt is the one who ultimately gives the Marine their MOS? Would it be a good idea to talk to the 1stSgt when I get to SOI or?

9. Socrates

Socrates New Member

Yeah, the 1stSgt is the one who says "Okay, you can have this MOS." --- but no, talking to him personally won't help. He'll say something like "Okay, everyone who wants to be an 0311, go to this side of the room. Javelins, go to that corner. Mortars, over there." He will get everyone bunched up, write down the names of everyone and fill up all of the needed spots, and then if there are like 35 people wanting to be Javelins but they only need 25 people, but there are only 15 people wanting to be Mortars out of the needed 25, he will just switch 10 people.

That is how it works, but again, you can feel very comfortable that you'll get the job you want. The 1stSgt definitely won't play favorites though. He will barely remember any of you anyways, unless you did something really bad or really good.

10. Accord

Accord New Member

Thanks for the info :cool: