Question for LOUDSYSTEM and others who seem to know...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Leathal, Apr 7, 2003.

1. Leathal

Leathal Zio will eat you for breakfast

...their shit :)

I had (what I thought was) a pretty dope car system. Front and back speakers were Infinity Kappa 63.3i and two Perfect 10.1 subwoofers in the back. Speakers were amped by a generic MTX Thunder amp and the subs were powered by a JBL 1200.1

One lovely day, two speakers and both subwoofers blew the fuck up.

Now I'm looking for two 6 1/2 speakers and any decent SQL subwoofer that can be powered by the 1200.1. I really don't want to spend more than $350, but I'll go up to 400 if necessary.

Any suggestions from the gurus in this corner of OT?

I'm not really looking to get Infinity stuff anymore because they seem to be poorly made. Of the two speakers I have left, one had developed a crack in the tweeter. :mad:

2. Pimp Cat

Pimp Cat Guest

Im running momo all around and have had good luck with it

3. 04

04 Guest

You blew 4 speakers all at once? Are the rear speakers being amplified by the amplifier or the headunit?

4. accordfreak93

accordfreak93 Go Preds!

damn, a jbl 1200.1 to two 10" perfects? thats a lot for those, i believe they only handle 300 a piece. as for the fronts, what wattage was the amp?

5. fst89lx

fst89lx Member

do you want to spend $350 on JUST a sub(s) or on the pair of 6 1/2's and a subs? Check out ID chameleons, MBQuart, Diamond audio, JLaudio for components (sorry don't know what their prices are). For subs, look at JL, ID, Elelemental designs, Resonant engineering.

6. OOTSABryan

OOTSABryan New Member

Focals man focals.

7. Leathal

Leathal Zio will eat you for breakfast

Let me make it a little clearer...
    I had 6 1/2 Kappas in all four slots powered by a 200x2 MTX Thunder speaker amp.

Really? I thought the Perfects were 350 RMS and 700 Max, but I :dunno:

I'm a broke bastard right now, so I'm only looking to spend that much total (2 speakers and the woofers)

I was looking at components, but I'm not too sure if I can install them myself. How hard is it to put in component speakers? I plan on leaving the old Kappas in the back and having better speakers in the front.

What subs would sound good powered by the 1200.1 amp? I'm looking more towards the SQL than the SPL because I'm not really tryin to drive around town making my ears bleed.

8. Audiophile

Audiophile boom boom

(2) Shivas - $250 :)