Question for jeep crew.

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Slownlow, Jun 28, 2004.

1. Slownlow

Slownlow New Member

I recently bought a 80 cj5. It's nothing special at this point but right now it currently has 33's with a 6 in. lift. But here's my problem. Before I lifted it there was a small stearing problem. When going straight the jeep seems to wonder. It wasn't very bad and I just blew it off but now that I'm a little higher the problem is much worse. I'm thinking it's the stearing gear box. But that is only because I have already replaced the entire stearing column (due to a different problem) so I know that is working fine and there really isn't much else to the stearing. At least nothing that I can see that would cause this kind of problem. I just wanted to get your advice and see if you all had any idea's.

Thanks,
    _Matt

2. reido

reido New Member

there's a good chance your tie rod ends are worn. jack up one side of the truck and then try to turn the wheel thats in the air. it will probably move quite a bit without moving the other wheel.

3. Slownlow

Slownlow New Member

Any idea how to adjust it?

4. DetR6oit

DetR6oit New Member

This is a CJ 7 but it should be close.
    [​IMG]

There is a locknut around 15mm in size, with and allen head in the middle. Loosten the locknut a decent amount with a wrench while using a allen wrench to hold the center part still. After the nut is loosened, use the allen wrench to tighten the center part till you kind of feel it bottom, but make sure it isn't the lock nut bottoming. Then back it off 1/4 to 1/2 a turn. Then hold it still and use the wrench to tighten the nut again. Test drive and re adjust tighter or looser depending on feeling.

5. Slownlow

Slownlow New Member

Ok I'll try that out. Thanks alot for your help. I'm completely new to 4x4ing. I'm really starting to like it. You get a sence of freedom. If someone on here has some time and doesn't mind my ignorance. I have a few questions on aftermarket parts and a few other things. I would love to pick someone's mind on some idea's and such. If so please contact me through aim or e-mail.

AIM: SlowNLowZ
    E-Mail: [email protected]

6. DetR6oit

DetR6oit New Member

Just start a thread in the main off topic forum during the day with Jeep crew in the title. It basicly turns into a chat.