question for graphic and web designers

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by cedric, Jan 31, 2005.

1. cedric

cedric I don't have a contract

I figured this is the best place to post this question since most, if not all, of you guys tend to congregate in this forum.

Anyway, I have some freelance projects that I'm going to need to bill clients for. How do you guys go about doing that? I know that I have to get an excise tax license, but as far as the actual billing goes, what do you guys do? Hourly? Several payments? Also, I'm not sure of what my general rate should be. I don't wanna rip anyone off, but I don't wanna under value my services and skills.

2. dmora

dmora Guest

ask other business what they would charge for similar work and then bill accordingly.

3. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

good man.

depends on the job, really. i used to bill hourly, but have done the last few jobs based on the value of the work being done with time not really discussed aside from the deadline. this works out better for some than others. most clients will prefer this method to hourly because it gives you incentive to get the job done quick and it gives them a fixed cost from the start.

4. cedric

cedric I don't have a contract

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I have a little more specific of a question now. What would you guys charge for a job like this? They basically want me to do EVERYTHING for them...logo, identity, website, advertising.

I'm almost certain that they're not looking to pay the amount that my current employer would charge them. I'm just taking this job on the side, primarily for experience and to get my name out there. The cash is nice too, but I'd like to be as fair as possible about this. :)

1) Direct mailer - Suggestions: a postcard - 4 1/2 x
    9" (or the max size allowed for postcard postage).
    Printing 2 colors. Sports photo including store front
    location, promotion (10% coupon in store purchases),
    website info, etc. This mailer should be designed in
    HTML to send out via email.

2) Generic ad - would this be a newspaper
    ad/possibly 2 colors. Usage: yellow pages, print
    magazines, etc.

3) Packaging design for shopping bags. Suggestions:
    include logo, website address & tagline

4) Instore POP - layout for small instore sale signs -
    list of any signs required, ie. What's New/Sale etc.
    (would display Store logo on bottom)

5. onelove

onelove Hit or Miss

I've got an LLC setup for my design / development. It's fairly cheap and easy to do and will offer some tax benefits come April if done properly.

If it's a full site you will make more money billing them as a package deal and outlining what you are doing for them, then for maintenance bill them hourly (I usually do $50-60 an hour depending on how large the job).

For general graphics or print work I go straight hourly because revisions can eat up a good suggestion of your time, if I think i'm going to make less hourly as the client is pretty free about what they want me to do then I will charge a flat rate.

Try to set a price for each area you are doing rather than a bulk price for everything, in the long run you will make more this way.

6. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

well, Graphic Artists Guild pricing standards would suggest that you charge based on the size/income of the company.

this is a good thing to have...

http://www.gag.org/pegs/index.php

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0932102123/002-1657692-2718469