Question for gear-heads...

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Buick Muscle, Aug 2, 2004.

1. Buick Muscle

Buick Muscle Guest

Lets say I have a clapped out smog era (1987ish) 305 v8 Chevy engine sitting in my garage. What exactly would I be looking at to turn it into a powerplant that is capable of sustaining and holding 9000 RPM's and cranking out a conservative amount of power. (275-325 crank HP)

If that isn't feasible, then lets say I wanted a lightweight engine that was capable of 9K RPMS and cranking out 275-325 HP. WHat would you recommend?

2. Buick Muscle

Buick Muscle Guest

And to keep it interesting, lets say it doesn't have to be reliable. It would be a weekend thing, so Im just looking for fast + cheap here.

3. 5secstrtcar

5secstrtcar Spot you 10, give you the move and still hand you

I dont think you understand what type of motor it takes to turn 9k. Your best bet is to take what money you plan on spending on this thing and just burn it.
    Why do you want to do this?

4. MattyCakes

MattyCakes Guest

4AGE. Kidding.

9K out of a 305... IDK about that partna, that would be alot of work, and probably not even be worth it.

5. ijustwantpics

ijustwantpics New Member

For what you'd be spending to get the 305 to rev that high you'd just be better off buying a crater that'll rev to 6k

Why so conserned with revin' to 9k any ways? I don't even you would get usable power that high.

6. 194kw

194kw Guest

modding a 305 to do 9k rpm isn't practicle. it probably wouldn't be streetable. find yourself a 350, and start there. 6k rpm is plenty for an appropriately geared v8

7. Frank N. Beans

Frank N. Beans I hate BMW's OT Supporter

The 305 is a boat anchor. What is your goal with the motor? Spinning a SBC to 9k rpm's isnt usually beneficial, unless you are running a stock car with it. You need something with a short stroke to do that with, say a 327 roller motor. It can be done, but would only be worth it for extreme top end speed contests or circle track racing.

8. DoucheBag

DoucheBag New Member

325 is extremely easy from 305. but the 9K rev. thats just retarded. no need for it.
    have it manga fluxed and sandblasted (clean it up and check for any cracks)
    perhaps some better pistons and rods. bore it over maybe .030 to bump up your compresion a little. new cylinder heads with better valves/retainer springs. a new intake and carb. should be good to go after that.

OR you can just stroke it out to like a 327ish.

9. MAD PUNK inDC

MAD PUNK inDC Sic Semper Tyrannis

don't even mess with the 305. It was a junk motor, prone to detenation when messed with too much.
    better to start off with a 350, destroke to 327, maybe start with a Motown block from World Products. Then you have to run an ultra lite forged crank, a set of good forged rods, maybe aluminum rods if you plan on teardown frequently, go with a set of coated hypereutetic pistions, button it up with 4 bolt splayed caps. Your going to need a set of heads that will flow well at high RPMs, and the best for that would be a set of 18 deg race heads. Top that off with Jesel shaft mount rockers, hardned pushrods and guide plates, a machanical roller cam and lifters. All of wich is going to cost you an arm and a leg.

it short, it's not worth going were you want to unless you are forced to meet specific damands placed on you by whatever racing you may be doing.