A&P Question for D700 grip owners

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Mutombo, Sep 18, 2009.

1. Mutombo

Mutombo New Member

The battery went dead on the grip in my D700 and instead of switching over to use power from the main camera battery, the camera refused to turn on and gave me the flashing battery light on the top lcd screen. If I take the dead battery out of the grip, then the camera powers up fine and shows 100% charge in the main battery.

I checked through the custom functions and the only setting I could find on the batteries was which one to use first (grip or body battery). Mine is set to use the battery in the grip first.

Shouldn't the camera automatically switch over to the battery in the camera when the grip goes dead?

Help :hs:

2. Girth

Girth ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ OT Supporter

Both my D300 and D700 setup the same way. Uses the grip battery first, when that dies, it goes to the primary battery. I don't notice when one dies and second one starts. That seems a bit odd... there's bound to be something you can set in all the crazy settings the camera has. :hs:

3. Mutombo

Mutombo New Member

I don't think it's a setting within the camera, I'm thinking maybe I have an older firmware version or something. With the dead battery in the grip, the camera will not turn on and flashes the dead battery sign. If I take the battery out of the grip, the camera turns on fine and operates perfectly, even with the grip (and no grip battery) still installed.

4. 1992 240SX

1992 240SX New Member

I seriously think theres something up with the grip. About 3 weeks ago my camera went completely dead, the f-stop would give me a triangle with a 0 on it and the AF wouldnt function anymore. I took it to Nikon and they told me the entire CPU board was replaced but they didn't explain why. The following week, in the middle of a wedding when I went to preview a photo the camera would keep scrolling through my settings and my AF point wouldn't change. I took the grip off and it was working fine, so then I switched batteries (grip battery into camera and camera battery into grip) and attached the grip back...that fixed it. I think when the grip battery goes low it acts up, so now I put it to use the camera battery first and grip battery second.

5. Mutombo

Mutombo New Member

I'll try switching to camera first and grip second. The only downside is that I'd have to take the grip off and get the camera battery out every time I want a recharge. Right now, I can just charge the en-el4a through the dc port without having to remove anything.