MIL question for current/former Army Officers & NCO/SNCO's..

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Drunk Bastard Audio, Jul 15, 2006.

1. Drunk Bastard Audio

Drunk Bastard Audio New Member

I recently found out my class date for OCS, and as someone coming from active duty Navy enlisted to Army OCS...I was wondering if you have any insight or advice for me?

2. ManinCamo

ManinCamo I wear big boy pants.

Don't say "Sir, yes Sir" or aye, and remember your name tag is now in your shirt, not your ass

3. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

I have never been in the Navy, but I went through the Warrior Transition Course with a few Navy guys that were moving to the Army via the Blue To Green program.

Some things that they talked about the most were:

- the abrupt and extreme physical challenge. To a man, they all expressed how surprised they were that the course was so physically gruelling. "Much tougher than Navy basic training" was a common expression. The Army moves on it's feet. They run more, march more, and train more on their feet than anyone else with the possible exception of the Marines. As opposed to the Marines, the Army is expected and trained to go into bad places and stay there.

- the Army management style. Probably better referred to as the Army command style. This is also something that I didn't fully appreciate before I went into the Army. An NCO in the Army is expected to lead in every way. Including physical. If your men are out in the ditches working up a grimey sweat, you better make sure you are putting in just as much effort and sweat. I have typed and erased this point several times, because the words seem superfluous when I read them, but only for someone that has never been in the Army. An Army NCO either sets the example in everything he does, or he loses face with his men and no one in his unit will respect him. The expectation that an Army leader will set the example in every way - by his hair, his uniform, his work ethic, his ability to lead - by example and by command - all of this seems to be ingrained into the Army psyche. If you are to be a leader of Army Soldiers, you are going to need to step your game up a notch. I don't know you, and I don't pretend to know your leadership style - but I am learning to know the Army, and I can tell you that you will need to dig deeper within yourself than you might have expected you would.

- close on the heels of the above point is the way that the Army community follows leaders. Just like it is ingrained into the psyche of the Army that their leaders must be worthy of the title, the soldiers below these leaders have an expectation of themselves that they will follow. They respect authority when it is assumed, and tend to reserve judgement until that authority is either proven to be worthy or is abused.

Of course, real life is much more diverse than the points I listed above - and there are shitholes and assholes aplenty in the Army - but these things are what I have seen and experienced during my brief time in the Reserves and in my many talks with my (soon-to-be E-5 :bigthumb:) son.

4. Ranger-AO

mother fucking werd.

Seriously. You might be tempted to mention "head", "deck", "Mast", or any of a bazillion Navy and nautical terms that are special to you because you earned the right to use them.

DON'T DO IT. You will look and sound like the nerd that walks into a crowd of jocks and starts talking about his fast modem. Seriously. Don't do it. It just sounds stupid.

5. Drunk Bastard Audio

LOL...thanks, i'll try to remember that ;)

6. Drunk Bastard Audio

Ranger, thanks for the keen insight.

7. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

im planning on going army OCS (im active navy right now)
    what did you do to get where you are if i may ask?

8. Drunk Bastard Audio

Pluto... armyocs.com was a wealth of knowledge for me as far as what I needed to do to get the ball rolling. As for what I did to get where I am now (OCS bound!), I finished my bachelors while on shore duty, had rock solid evals ever since I was an E-5 (E-6 now), once I decided to submit an Army OCS application over Army WOCS & Navy LDO programs...I didn't hesitate. I immediatedly contacted a local Army recruiter that was familiar the Blue to Green program for Air Force/Navy enlisted submitting Army OCS applications. Almost 5 months later, I finally have my class date and an opportunity of a lifetime.

if you have any specific questions about the OCS application process, feel free to email me @ [email protected] and I'll do my best to help ensure you don't have to go through the hurdles I did. (Nothing bad, but my recruiter never dealt w/ active duty AF/Navy submitting an Army OCS application, so it was a learning experience for the both of us).

9. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

I attribute my success in the Air Force to my years as an NCO in the Army. The majority of Air Force NCO's are wrapped up in the "corporation" mentality the Air Force shoves down your throat. They build "friendships" with their superiors and subordinates. I see unproffesional relationships everywhere I look in the Air Force. Relationships that directly effect the office, and the leadership style of the Air Force as a whole. Due to this NCO's are not willing to make the tough call in fear of hurting someones feeling, or even worse alienating a "friend". I understand that I have no friends in the military. You have no equal in the military, and a person can not be your friend if they are not your equal. Either you outrank them or they outrank you. With this mentality I am able to make unbiased and 100% professional leadership decisions at all times. Which so far in my 3 years has put me out front of my peers.

10. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

Learn the NCO creed and live by it. As long as you follow those guidelines you will be a good Army NCO.

11. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

thanks, the website should provide enough information

mainly what i wanted to know was if a break in service would affect the course of me getting picked up, since i will be here on sea duty for the rest of my enlistment, im not looking to reenlist (in my current rating, and having trouble crossing to seabee) and i dont have enough of my degree done so im looking into going to college and getting it done in a year or two and then applying

12. Drunk Bastard Audio

nope, a break in service will not effect your odds of getting picked up...but just a suggestion, Army OCS selection rates are at an all time high due to a major shortage of JO's right now....how long will they stay that high, I'm not to sure. With that being said, when is your EAOS and estimation of degree completion? I actually started my process before my degree was to be completed, I had my school type of a memo stating I'd be finished with my degree on such date (since I only had 4 classes left at that time, and by the time I would be selected, I'd be finished.). The sooner you can apply, the better imo.

13. Ranger-AO

As a former AF NCO and a current Army Reserves NCO, I could not agree more with this post.

14. pmoney

pmoney OT Supporter

Hey drunk bastard, armyocs.com is a great site.

I posted my intro on it and as luck would have it, they have a former healthcare team recruiter who now lives the street across from the dental school I will, hopefully, be attending. He was pretty helpful, even called up to Ft Drum to set me up for a visit to the clinics if I wanted to.

15. Drunk Bastard Audio

I can't say enough good things about that site...it's very informative for anyone (AD, Res, PS, College Op) thinking about applying for a commission.

16. Drunk Bastard Audio

So no more saying ahoy mate?

17. kidhero

kidhero not really a hero, really just a big fat phony

use the head, stay on the deck, left, right, front, back

18. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

you mean no hump sessions in the middle of gasmask football in iraq? or was that marines only :hsugh:

19. kazimer

kazimer New Member

I am probably the most recent ARMY OCS graduate here on the boards. I received my commission 1 Sep 2005. and my class was the last cycle of the old ways of OCS. its all a mind game and how well you deal with pressure and general hazing. dont freak out if you are given a position and dont know what to do. ask your peers for help. there will usually be many prior service (i came off of the streets from college to OCS) people there to help you out. basically you have to act like an NCO on execution but plan from an officer's point of view.

i dont want to get too much into it mainly because LTC Carlson (the new BN CDR) took much of the hazing out of OCS, so my tips on getting over on things would be outdated.

also make sure to drink excess water if you go in the summer. i grew up in florida and thought i could handle the heat. i passed out in the field 3 times :o

consider yourself lucky that: lights out procedures, dfac procedures, echoing, required knowledge, stupid timed distance runs, and PARK points are gone. those made OCS suck balls but they provide lots of random stories afterwards

20. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

heh...hes been in the navy a while and went through boot camp...i think hell be fine during actual OCS

21. Drunk Bastard Audio

Thanks for the information, my report date is September 4th and I'm currently an E-6 in the Navy who will be doing a no break in service transfer. Hopefully some of my Navy NCO experience will help, though I'm sure I'll be clueless for a few as far as Army NCO experience goes. I'm looking forward to the experience though!

22. Drunk Bastard Audio

Pluto, thanks buddy....i keep hearing that from my Army counterparts at work, but I'll believe it when I see it :)