Question for coders

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by SutterKain, Nov 2, 2009.

1. SutterKain

SutterKain New Member

Hey guys...

I'm hoping that someone here might have the answer to this question that I've been trying to wrap my brain around for the past few weeks....

A few buddies and myself are trying to write some sort of online game. There is a ton of games out there such as mafia wars, space wars, (basically all the zynga-like and facebook type games) that are out there, and a lot of people truely enjoy. The thing is that most of those games arent very involving and I honestly think that we could do it, only better.

This is my question.. When putting together some sort of online, multiplayer, server side game such as that, what coding language is best to attack a project like this??? I've done some research and seen a bunch of different answers... And based on all the things that I've read I've bounced back and forth between learning several different languages.

I have quite a bit of coding experiance so I'm not worried about being able to learn the language, I just want to make sure I'm learning the right one....

Any thoughts???

Thx....

-SutterKain

2. Fase

Fase Your Face, In A Pickle Jar.

I'd guess Java like runescape.

3. cheet

cheet OT Supporter

Java, def

4. SutterKain

SutterKain New Member

What about learning PHP?

5. CodeX

CodeX Guest

fail.

6. SutterKain

SutterKain New Member

Not that I'm doubting you, but reason being??

7. CodeX

CodeX Guest

Just my general opinion on those browser based games, and a reflection of the mood I am in today, think nothing of it.

I don't know that much about development of active web content or I would have answered your question :hs:

8. SutterKain

SutterKain New Member

Well then let me pick your brain... I graduated college about 6 years back with a bachelors in Management Information Systems. Did 2 years of C++, 1 yr of Java, 1 yr SQL, and some other programming... After I graduated I ended up taking a job in retail...

Fast forward to today, still in retail, want to get my programming skills back because after all that time not having touched them, my skills are rusty to say the least... I want to get back into coding, but since then there are so many new languages that have come out (not to meantion all the revisions of the old ones..) I want to learn something thats relevant and something that there might actually be some demand out there for...

With the experiance I have under my belt, I'm not worried about having to learn a new language. thats fine... I just want to make sure that I'm not picking up something that isnt used or isnt practical to learn....

Thoughts??

9. f/2.8L

f/2.8L New Member

IN for a real world answer!

10. New Character

New Character Active Member

11. CodeX

CodeX Guest

I'll give you an answer after work tonight, but I know I am biased based on my niche (embedded firmware)... so take it for what its worth.

12. CodeX

CodeX Guest

C/C++ is the most versatile, most powerful, most enabling language. It is not the easiest to use or learn, but if you know what you are doing it creates the smallest/fastest applications with the fewest restrictions in what it allows you to do.

Since C is compiled it is not portable, you build an executable for a specific target platform, such as Intel x86/x64, and then your application will only run on processors supporting that platform. If you want your application to run on windows, mac, and linux OS's then you do not want to use C. If, like most people, you could give two shits about mac or linux, then it will do just fine.

Also, for writing windows GUI applications that are IO bound I would pick VB with .NET over C just for simplicity. C# might be equally convenient but I have no experience with it yet. This is of course contingent on whether or not you have visual studio or some piece of shit IDE. With visual studio the ease of development of windows .NET applications in VB is second to none.

Java... is useless as far as I can tell. If anyone can tell me java's niche I would like to know because it seems like anything that can be done in java can be done equally if not more easily in C#/VB or more efficiently (performance wise, not development time) in straight C.

Note this is in regards to stand-alone application development, I have no experience with "web apps" save for some basic PHP knowledge. Personally I think most internet applications are shit anyway and unnecessary. Your talking about making a browser based game... why not just make a normal game that has network connectivity internal to it? Is it because you think this would be more difficult? I am just asking, that may be true I have no idea. Well, I know what is entailed in making a game with network support, but like I said have no experience in making apps that run inside a web browser, for anything that isn't trivial it seems like an unnecessary restriction to force people to use it inside their browser.

13. Fase

Fase Your Face, In A Pickle Jar.

Java for phones, and web apps. You don't write browser based games in C. You couldn't make a game in PHP either. Flash only works for small games, not like what he was talking about.

14. SutterKain

SutterKain New Member

I completely agree what you were saying about Java. I absolutly hated the semester I took learning it because I had done C++ for about a year and a half prior and although I know its really comparing apples to oranges, I found it waaaay to bloated....

The basic "Hello world" program that you build in every programming coarse known to man was the ultimate proof of that... In C it was 1 statement consisting of about 10-15 chars to get "HELLO WORLD!" printed up... Now do that on the java side... Easily 80 chars... Header>Class>Subclass>function>command... Turned me off right away... Hopefully its gotten better out there, if not I feel bad for all the Java coders out there...

The reason I havn't looked into doing this in C++ (or C#) is simply because I wasnt sure the capabilities of the program... Everything I had done with it was solely single PC based and never touched internet (or LAN for that matter) connectivity... Mind you I last really touched the software 5-6 years ago.