A&P Question for Canon Crew

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by GlobeGuy, Apr 25, 2006.

1. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

Do old lenses that were made for APS sized sensors work on a full frame dSLR without the ring you would get on a 35mm SLR?

2. IntheWorks

IntheWorks windin film.. takin pics Moderator

if you're talking about the old FD lenses.. you'll still need the FD -> EOS adapter...

3. 00soul

00soul halfsharkalligatorhalfman

FD cameras only use FD lenses (full manual)

EOS camersas can use all EF lenses no matter if they are digital or film. (lenses with electronic contacts)

EF-S lenses are for APS digital sensors only

4. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

I'm not familliar w/ Canon terms. Say lens you used on 20D, can you use it on 5D w/o the dark ring around the edges of your pictures?

5. 00soul

as long as its a EF lens and not a EF-S lens

6. IntheWorks

IntheWorks windin film.. takin pics Moderator

you're talking about vignetting, right?

7. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

No, the black ring you get from using a lens that's designed for APS sized sensor on a 35mm film SLR. Since full frame dSLR's sensor has the size of 35mm film, I'm wondering if you will get the black ring around your pictures also, or if Canon has done something miraculous to make the older lenses compatible with full frame dSLRs.

8. 00soul

can you post a pic?

9. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

Haha, no sorry. I do not have a 35mm SLR nor a full frame dSLR. I never actually seen an sample picture from 35mm SLR taken with lens designed for APS sensor, I only read how it would turn out (with black rings).

I just looked at Canon 5D's review on dpreview and here is an exerpt from it.

So the answer to my question is, yes you would get the black ring because of smaller imaging area.

10. mojito

mojito New Member

yes you would get vignetting, but you couldn't physically put a ed-s lens on a ef mount. there is a little notch that prevents this.

If you spend the cash on a 5d and were thinking about using the a ef-s lens (other than the new 17-55IS 2.8) than you really need to rethink your priorities. full frame will show all the flaws of a lens. you really have to spend some cash on a good lens for ff.

why do you think you need FF?

11. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

I do not need a FF, I asked purely to satisfy my curiosity.

12. I think like myself in the past he is wondering if he spent money getting lenses for a 20D would he beable to use the lenses if he later on planned to upgrade.

Your answer is yes you can use 20d lenses on the 5d and 1d as long as they are EF lenses not EF-S. It would probably be better to stick with all canon glass also. I know a few poeple who have tried sigma lenses on their 20d and have it work fine and then they get the error 99 if they try it on a 5d or a 35mm slr. Also the 20d has a (1.6? crop factor) and I think the 5d has a full frame sensor.

Like me, I bought a 30d and got a 18mm fisheye lens. I didn't know about the crop factor then so when I put the lens on my camera I couldnt really see that much of a distorted effect. But if I brought that same lens over to a 5d, 1d, or 35mm SLR I would beable to see the full effect and the inner part of the lens.

^
    I think that's the answer you're looking for. :bigthumb:

13. Mr_Penut

Mr_Penut Elitist Member OT Supporter

yeah it wont work

14. :mamoru: You guys are getting way off topic.