MMA Question for BJJ guys

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by teep, Aug 27, 2006.

1. teep

teep New Member

It's not everyone, but why do almost all you guys call taking a shot, "the shoot", as if it were a move. I guess it's just a pet peeve of mine, like when people say "herr" instead of "here". I'm just genuinely curious as well.

Also just so this isn't a complete waste of a thread.... I really liked that brabo choke that I think Chechen posted. It's something I had never seen before and now I'm going to do it all the time. Can anyone else suggest any other "unconventional" subs? I'm not sure unconventional was the right word, it's just that my submission knowledge is mostly limited to the basics. Even suggestions for getting basic subs from different positions would be great. For example, I really like when you're crab riding someone and can't sink in a rear naked choke and transition to an armbar. Any advice would be great. Thanks.

2. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

mm.. i would say..

i shot in on him

or.. if you shoot a takedown do it this way..

it depends on the context.

it does bother me when people say "he has a good shoot"
    it should be, "he has a good shot"

whatever.. its very subjective

yes the brabo choke is a hot sub right now.. especially in no gi competition where its easier to sink. You can do it with a gi too.. but the sweat of no gi helps it sink in much easier. marc laimons students are famous for their brabo chokes

3. teep

teep New Member

Thanks a ton chechen for showing me that choke by the way. I have a good front head lock and I always used to just take the back or gator roll from there, but now I have the option of going for a sick submission.

And also it actually makes me happy that you say it right haha. I just came across a thread on Sherdog where someone said "He utilizes his greco-roman wrestling skills better than the freestyle shoot." :ugh: I don't know how such a little thing bothers me so much. I know this is different, but to me it's like of someone kept calling an omaplata a triangle choke.

4. MyLittleAirport

MyLittleAirport OT Supporter

I never heard of that before and none of the BJJ guy I know say that either. Maybe its just in your area and it got popular there.

I'm not a big fan of unconventional subs even though I do use them at times, I believe the basics are the best because they are the most proven.

Some transitions I like all can be mixed around with these 3 moves: Armbar, triangle, omoplata.

Here are some examples when they're in your guard,

Armbar > Triangle > Omoplata
    Armbar > Triangle > Armbar
    Triangle > Omoplata > Triangle

etc. etc.

The first move is just a set up, it doesn't have to be 100% locked in for you to transition to your next move.

My instructor (Amal Easton) told me of a story of him in tournaments a long time ago where transitioning from Armbar > Triangle > Armbar was like magic back then and he would win tournaments just doing this. Of course everyone knows about it now but it just shows how effective it was (and still is).

5. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

6. teep

teep New Member

Thanks, thats a pretty cool choke. Was it taken from a magazine or book? Also thanks for the tip mylittleairport. I really do need to work on my ability to transition from one thing to another.
    "The shoot" thing isn't from my area though. I just always see it on sherdog and always hear Goldie and Rogan say it. And with that I'm going to let it go and never mention it again just knowing that there are at least two bjj guys that say it right. :)

7. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

I always say "double leg" or "single leg" or sometimes "double leg shot" :dunno: