MIL Question for Army people

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by kazimer, Mar 10, 2010.

1. kazimer

kazimer New Member

I have a buddy that is currently in the Navy as a Combat Photographer/Video. Before I joined the Army he went to San Diego as a "combat camera" for a SEAL Team. Fast forward 5 years later, he is still an E-5 doing an awesome job but his duties fall outside of his MOS so he can't get promoted.

He called me asking about going Army and is interested in going to DLI. Since I met him he has been speaking Chinese (Mandarin) and is quite proficient. His overall goal is to become fluent in Chinese. I told him his best route to DLI is transfer at the end of his enlistment with the Navy and go in as a 35P. From there he can go Warrant or Regular Officer as he wants to retire as an O instead of an E

Did I give him sound advice? Are there any pitfalls I can let him know about? Any help will be appreciated. Oh I havent updated my subscription so I cant receive any PMs

2. dmcgill

dmcgill New Member

Sounds good to me, Blue to Green is a solid program and it is WAY easier to get promoted in the Army than the Navy. I considered the program myself.

Good advice.

3. kazimer

kazimer New Member

ok that is good to hear, thanks :cool:

lol i didnt want to brag about how fast the Army promotions are, but its an undeniable fact

4. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

would be a good move regardless...mo money!

5. tan koi

tan koi Guest

Maybe, but you also have to look at the promotion perspective.

Points for 35P have been shit for the last 1/2 year or so. 798 across the board for SSG. He won't be picking up E-6 unless he's superman.

Army promotion is easy, but some jobs really get shafted.

6. kazimer

kazimer New Member

That's a very good point. Is it like that across theboard for MI jobs? I guess he could try his luck at warrant of they are not promoting after a few years

7. tan koi

tan koi Guest

I looked over the latest promo points list and some of the other 35 series seem to have good prospects.

It just depends on the time of year and people filling the job, kind of difficult to measure it.